Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This post may contain affiliate links.
It is that time of year when everyone's gardens are exploding with zucchini.
Except mine because I have no garden. But zucchini is cheap and plentiful at the grocery store.
Instead of making traditional enchiladas, I give things a spin by emptying zucchini and stacking them with toppings instead of using enchilada wrappers or tacos.
You won't miss any carbohydrates in these healthy enchiladas that are ready in 30 minutes and explode with flavor. My family gave them a ten out of ten and asked me when I would do them again.
The enchilada sauce soaks the chicken to keep it extra moist and juicy, there's corn and red and yellow peppers for flavor and texture, and the melted cheese is my favorite part.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Feel free to add black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, or your other favorite Mexican-inspired fixings. My ships were already fully loaded and couldn't hold any more goodies, although I was tempted to try.
Zucchini-laden chicken enchilada
Instead of making traditional enchiladas, I hollowed out the zucchini and piled them with toppings instead of using tacos. You won't miss any carbohydrates in these healthy enchiladas that are ready in 30 minutes and explode with flavor. The enchilada sauce soaks the chicken to keep it extra moist and juicy, there's corn and red and yellow peppers for flavor and texture, and the melted cheese is my favorite part. Feel free to add black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, or your other favorite Mexican-inspired fixings.
- 4 medium / large zucchini
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (use store-bought roasted chicken to save time)
- 3/4 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, diced small (I used red and yellow)
- 1/2 cup corn (used to freeze straight from the freezer)
- 1 Cup of grated Mexican cheese mixture
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
- optionally add or garnish with black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a large baking dish or 9×13-inch skillet with cooking spray; set aside.
- Trim the zucchini ends, cut them in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to hollow out the centers to create jars, leaving a 1/8-inch margin intact. Discard the hollowed out meat (or add it to the hummus, soup, or homemade soup).
- Place the zucchini on a prepared plate and bake for about 20 minutes, or until soft.
- While the zucchini is baking, in a medium bowl add the shredded chicken, the enchilada sauce and stir to combine.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and evenly distribute the chicken over the hollow part of the zucchini.
- Sprinkle evenly with bell peppers, corn, and cheese.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until cheese melts to your liking.
- Sprinkle coriander evenly and optionally garnish with your choice of ingredients and serve immediately. Zucchini is warm and fresh, but will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Averie Cooks recipe. All images and content are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, retype the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post to see the recipe. Thank you.
Loaded Chicken Enchilada Nachos – Juicy chicken soaked in enchilada sauce with black beans, corn, peppers, coriander, and more! Cursi, sticky perfection and ready in 5 minutes! Perfect for parties, tailgating, or anytime you need an easy nacho solution!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake – All the flavors of your favorite enchiladas, minus the work! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and you can prepare it ahead of time to save time on busy nights or before a big event!
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (Vegetarian): Healthy and comforting food that everyone will love! Quick, easy and tastes amazing!
Chicken Enchilada Quinoa with Cheese: All the flavor of chicken enchiladas minus the work of rolling them up! Juicy chicken, corn, black beans, bell peppers, and lots of melted cheese! Easy, a skillet, and you're done in 30 minutes!
Chicken with coriander and lime with mixed rice and black beans: an easy skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of bold textures and flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish explode!
Easy 30-minute chicken fajitas – make restaurant-style fajitas at home in just 30 minutes! Juicy chicken, caramelized onions, and bell peppers taste great! This easy recipe will go into your regular rotation!
Avocado, black beans and corn salad with lime and cumin vinaigrette: everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and flavorful!
Lettuce Wraps with Chicken Tortilla: Full of Mexican flavors, there are chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, coriander and cheese seasoned with tacos! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes and a family favorite!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Sweet Potato Stuffed Corn with Avocado Cream (Vegan, GF) – A healthy meal or hearty side that's easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying, and doesn't taste like healthy food!
Corn and bean light quesadillas with avocado, mango and chipotle sauce (vegetarian / vegan option) – you don't have to derail your diet for a hearty and satisfying comfort food! This version has only about 300 calories and is ready in 15 minutes!
Easy 30-minute homemade chicken tortilla soup: addictive, crispy chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and tortilla strips. Fast and easy food during the week, and better than in a restaurant!
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Quick, Easy, and Accidentally Healthy! Your favorite tacos in individual serving cups!
Chicken Taco Salad Loaded with Creamy Lime / Coriander Dressing – Quick, Easy, Fresh, and Healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one great kick salad that everyone will adore!
Guacamole bar do it yourself: make your own guacamole bar and have fun trying the options! Great party idea everyone loves!
Easy restaurant-style blender sauce – make your own sauce in minutes! Fast, easy, nonsense-proof and tastes 1000 times better than anything you buy!
Triple Baked Cheese Sauce and Tortilla Dipping Sauce Chips – Loaded with 3 types of cheese and baked to perfection golden, bubbly and golden! Always a hit at parties!
We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees through advertising and links to amazon.com.