Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
You can never go wrong with a fruit based salad, I regularly make Mexican fruit salad, berry salad and this simple but classic Waldorf salad.
Waldorf salad is one of those traditional recipes that never goes out of style. That combination of sweet fruit and crispy nuts can't be beat! The Waldorf salad is very easy to make, and you can have it on the table in about 10 minutes. How can you go wrong with that?
What is Waldorf salad?
Waldorf salad is a blend of apples, celery, walnuts, and grapes mixed with a mayonnaise-based dressing. It is often served on lettuce leaves as a light meal or garnish. This salad got its name because it originated at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in 1896. This salad was not created by the hotel's chef, but was created by the dining room manager!
How is Waldorf salad made?
The hardest part of this recipe is dicing all the fruit! This salad consists of apples, grapes, celery, and walnuts, all cut into small pieces. I like to use red and green apples because it adds a touch of color and extra flavor. The dressing consists of just 4 ingredients and mixes with the fruits and vegetables to create a creamy mix. Add a little parsley and chopped fruit for garnish and you're ready to eat!
How do you prevent apples from browning in your salad?
The dressing for this salad contains lemon juice that helps prevent apples from browning. It is important to throw the apples into the dressing as soon as they are cut so that they come into contact with the acid in the lemon juice.
Waldorf salad variations
While I usually make this salad exactly as written, I sometimes change the ingredients a bit for a different tasting experience.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Protein – This salad is great with grilled chicken or minced roast chicken.
- Dressing: While mayonnaise is the traditional base for dressing, plain yogurt is also an excellent choice.
- Dried Fruit: Dried cranberries or raisins would be a great addition to this salad.
- Walnuts: While walnuts are a popular choice for this salad, you can also use walnuts or almonds if you prefer.
Can you prepare the Waldorf salad in advance?
You can prepare this salad up to 4 hours before planning to serve it. Store the salad in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Add the parsley and any additional fruit you want to garnish just before serving.
There's a reason this salad has remained popular for so many years – it's totally delicious! This salad is a welcome addition to a shared meal, you can serve it in lettuce glasses as an appetizer, or even add a little chicken and serve it on bread as a sandwich. Regardless of how you choose to serve it, this salad will be a hit.
More salad recipes you'll love
- watermelon salad
- Creamy cucumber salad
- Ramen noodle salad
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Chopped greek salad
This Waldorf salad is a combination of apples, grapes, celery, and walnuts, all mixed with a creamy dressing. An easy, refreshing salad that's perfect as a garnish or lighter entree.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 1 minute Total time: 11 minutes
Servings: 6 Calories: 234kcal
For the salad
- 1 1/2 cups apples cut into 1/2 inch pieces, I use red and green
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup of grapes in half
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- Place apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, and salt.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit and stir to coat. Sprinkle with parsley and then serve, garnished with additional fruit if desired.
Calories :: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 178mg | Potassium: 157mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 100 IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.5mg