Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
In light of my recent post on eating with the seasons, I have a tasty fall recipe to share. Isaac toasted a 12 pound pumpkin last weekend to brew pumpkin beer. Not only was I excited to have draft beer at our house in a few weeks, but I was also excited to discover that I had plenty of roasted pumpkin leftovers. I mixed what was left and finished with about 6 cups of pumpkin puree. I've been eating roasted pumpkin seeds, oatmeal pumpkin pie overnight, pumpkin pie yogurt, and recently made a pumpkin curry soup. Next, corn bread with pumpkin.
This pumpkin soup is inspired by Kath's creamy curry butter soup. We had it in his house and I made sense of the soup several times, because it is very good!
For this version I'm using pumpkin instead of pumpkin and coconut milk to make it dairy-free and vegan! The soup comes out deliciously delicious and super creamy. The key here is to add white beans because once mixed, they make the soup nice and thick and amplify the protein, making this soup suitable for food. Serve it with a side of vegetables and toast for dipping and you will have a definite delight.
If you try this vegan pumpkin curry soup make sure to leave a comment and a star rating to let me know how it turns out. Your comments are very helpful to me and to other EBF readers who plan to try the recipe.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 cans (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed *
- 2 (15 oz) cans pumpkin (or 3 1/2 cups pumpkin puree)
- 1 can (15 oz) coconut milk (regular or light)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- toppings: extra salt and pepper, roasted pumpkin seeds, coconut milk yogurt and fresh thyme
- To make in a slow cooker: Heat oil in a skillet (or the bottom of your slow cooker if your slow cooker allows stir fry) over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until transparent and fragrant.
- Place the cooked onion and garlic along with all the other ingredients in your slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook the soup over low heat for 4-6 hours. Use an immersion blender to mix until the soup is smooth. Serve warm.
- To make on the stove: cook the onions and garlic in a large pot, add all the remaining ingredients to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, and then simmer for 20-30 minutes. Turn off the heat, use a blender or immersion blender to mix the soup and serve warm.
- Serve with ingredients of choice.
- Cannellini beans are also called white beans. If you can't find them, white beans also work.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, you can mix the soup in a regular blender by making small batches at a time. Just be very careful as the soup will be hot and can splash out of the blender.
- Inspired by Kath's Creamy Butternut Curry Soup
- Portion size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 236
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 990mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan pumpkin curry soup, pumpkin curry soup
Follow us on PINTEREST!
pumpkincurry vegan soup