Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This post may contain affiliate links.
Do tomato and basil go together and with mozzarella? Even better.
It's a healthier twist to Parmesan chicken because the chicken isn't breaded. You will definitely not miss the breadcrumbs on this easy dish that is ready in 20 minutes and full of flavor.
It is also like a caprese salad with chicken and pasta and they lived happily ever after.
Tomatoes help keep chicken moist and juicy, basil has a tasty flavor, and cheese is gooey and wonderful.
You really don't "need" pasta. A healthy salad or a little garlic bread together would be great, but since I have a million half-used boxes of pasta cluttering my pantry, I boiled some rotini for my pasta-loving daughter. Spaghetti, angel hair, ziti, or your favorite pasta would work just as well.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Tomatoes and basil will soon be plentiful in the gardens and in the markets, and this recipe is a perfect way to use them. Substitute about 2 cups of chopped fresh tomatoes instead of the canned ones I used and voila.
Tomato, basil and chicken mozzarella
Tomato, basil and mozzarella go together. This recipe is a healthier twist on Parmesan chicken because the chicken is not breaded. You will definitely not miss the breadcrumbs on this easy dish that is ready in 20 minutes and full of flavor. Tomatoes help keep chicken moist and juicy, basil has a tasty flavor, and cheese is gooey and wonderful. Spaghetti, angel hair, ziti, or your favorite pasta will work, too, just like fresh tomatoes.
- 8 ounces pasta (I used rotini; can be substituted for spaghetti, angel hair, ziti, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- approximately 1.25 pounds of thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to season chicken
- one 14.5 ounce can diced small tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, optional and to taste
- about 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (grated or thinly sliced from a block; fresh mozzarella can also be used)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves (loosely when measuring), torn or diced into small pieces
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, start the chicken.
- In a large skillet, add oil, chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes per side. The cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken. Chicken should be 80 to 90% cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and juice to the pan. Try pouring the tomatoes next to the chicken and between pieces, rather than directly on top.
- Sprinkle oregano, pepper, and optional salt evenly (some brands of canned tomatoes are already salty enough, some are not; add salt to taste) and allow the mixture to boil for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until part of the liquid from the tomatoes have evaporated.
- Lower the heat, evenly add the mozzarella on top of each chicken breast and cover the pan until the cheese is melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle basil evenly, stir gently to incorporate into tomatoes, and wait about 1 minute or until basil has slightly wilted.
- Place the chicken and tomatoes on top of the pasta. The dish is best hot and fresh, but will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Averie Cooks recipe. All images and content are protected by copyright. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, retype the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post to see the recipe. Thank you.
My favorite easy chicken recipes are ALL HERE
Orzo Chicken Salad: Juicy chicken mixed with orzo, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and a super tasty lemon vinaigrette! Easy, healthy, ready in 30 minutes and a perfect way to use fresh vegetables from your garden!
Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil and Quinoa (GF) Salad: Trying to keep your meals healthier and lighter? Make this salad easy, refreshing and satisfying!
Easy Chicken Manicotti: Pasta shells stuffed with chicken, topped with red sauce and topped with lots of melted cheese. Pure and comforting food full of flavor that will delight the whole family!
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls – Juicy chicken paired with your favorite burrito ingredients served in a bowl! Stack the ingredients all the way to the sky and don't worry about a break in the wrapper, plus it's a little healthier! Easy and ready in 15 minutes!
Italian Chicken Pasta Salad: Easy, Ready in 20 Minutes, and Healthy! Brimming with fresh flavors of juicy tomatoes, cucumber, basil, Parmesan, and tender chicken tossed in a strong lemon vinaigrette.
Smoked Chicken, Pepper, and Spinach Pasta Salad – Juicy Chicken, Crispy Peppers, and Pasta with Smoked Paprika! Quick, easy, healthy and a success with everyone! Ideal for picnics, shared lunches or easy weeknight dinners!
Avocado, tomato and mozzarella crostini: an easy snack packed with texture and flavor!
We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees through advertising and links to amazon.com.