Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Growing up, we often went out to eat Thai food both locally and on a trip. Without a doubt, my mother always ordered Tom Kha Gai, a Thai chicken and coconut soup. We love eating and cooking Asian food in our home, which is why I have shared hundreds of recipes inspired by Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, and Chinese over the years. Well balanced, with vegetables forward and full of bright flavors, authentic Asian food is usually quite healthy and nutritious.
Made with creamy coconut milk and fragrant aromatics like ginger and lemongrass, this soup is satisfying, comforting, and perfectly balanced.
Sweet, spicy, salty, and sour, it's all I'm looking for in a perfect bowl of soup. For added meatiness and umami flavor, sliced mushrooms are added to the broth along with shredded chicken.
Any type of shredded cooked chicken will work, whether it's leftover chicken from earlier in the week or a steakhouse I grabbed during the day, this soup is meant to be easy and effortless.
Lemongrass free? No problem! Add some thin slices of lemon peel and remove them before serving.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Speaking of serving, be sure to garnish with fresh coriander to serve. Fresh and shiny herbs will perfectly complement the sweet and creamy soup.
Your spoon is waiting.
Tom Kha Gai Thai Chicken Coconut Soup
A Thai classic to go, you won't believe how easy it is to prepare the fresh and fragrant Thai chicken and coconut soup, Tom Kha Gai, at home!
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time 20 minutes Total time 30 minutes
Servings4 Calories 375kcal
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 14 ounces Thai-style coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- coriander (optional garnish)
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 1 cup of mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (for roasting)
- salt and pepper to taste)
- Using the back of a chef's knife, gently tap the lemongrass to release the juices and soften it up a bit. Cut into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, stir together chicken stock, coconut milk, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, chili paste, sugar, and lemongrass. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat.
- Add chicken and mushrooms and simmer for 20 minutes. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with coriander to serve.
Serving: 12ouces | Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Protein: 22 g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 1283 mg | Potassium: 740 mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 29 IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 3 mg
Want more delicious recipes inspired by Asia? Check out my Pinterest board!