Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
For a king-sized packed lunch, make Three Bean Salad and Turkey Roll-Ups or a tablespoon of the best tuna salad you'll have on some green vegetables. Or explore other great bean recipes for some inexpensive (and plant-based) cooking ideas.
In the Midwest, the old three-bean salad is quick, spicy, and easy to eat. In the winter, it is a way of serving vegetables when fresh produce is scarce. In summer, when green beans abound, it's especially good. Fresh beans really make it sing.
The more you sit, the better you get. It is ideal for picnics and outdoor barbecues, because it is gluten-free and vegan. Best of all, it doesn't have anything that can go wrong if you leave it out for a couple of hours. ()
What are the beans in the classic three-bean salad?
Most recipes use a combination of green beans, waxed (yellow) beans, and green beans. You can be stubborn and use any of the three beans you want (chickpea, chickpea, lime, cannelini, etc.), but some green beans are always welcome in the salad for a little crunch.
3 canned bean salad:
The standard recipe calls for everything canned, but you can cook your own dry beans if you like. Make sure to drain the canned beans well before adding them to the salad, and check the sodium in each can before adding salt to the dressing. Some canned beans have more sodium than might be expected.
If you're making a mixed bean salad with dried beans, here is some useful information to help you turn dried beans into canned beans:
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) of dried beans will produce about 6 to 7 cups of cooked beans.
- A 15-ounce can of cooked beans yields about 1 3/4 cups of beans after draining, which is equivalent to 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of dried beans.
- So for every 15-ounce can of beans that the recipe calls for, cook 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of dried beans.
Three-bean salad, fresh beans:
Of course, use fresh green and yellow beans, if they look good in the store. Fresh beans should be blanched quickly before adding them to the salad, so they are tender, crisp, and vibrant. (See How to Blanch Green Beans.)
How to make a three bean salad:
For best results, salad flavors need to be mixed for at least 8 hours or overnight, so make this dish a day before eating it.
- First, make the dressing. Combine sugar, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar in a saucepan large enough to contain everything. Cook the dressing gently over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. (Skip this step if you are not using sugar). Then pour the dressing into the salad bowl.
- To the bowl, add the beans, chopped parsley, and red onion. Gently stir ingredients until everything is covered in the dressing.
- Store overnight in the refrigerator and take it out when you need it! Then watch it go away, tablespoon by tablespoon.
What else can you add to Three Bean Salad?
If you do, they will eat it. There is no limit to what you can add to this simple but addictive bean salad.
- Carrots Grated carrots are pickled when marinated in the dressing.
- Avocado. Fresh diced avocado added to salad at the last minute, just before serving, add a creamy texture.
- Corn. Canned corn kernels or fresh corn on the cob add natural, crisp sweetness to a mixed bean salad.
- Mediterranean Bean Salad. Add fresh chopped cherry tomatoes, dried oregano, chopped black olives, and chickpeas to the salad. Maybe some crumbled feta cheese?
- Three bean salad in a jar. Place the ingredients in a clean glass jar and pour the dressing over them. Seal with screw cap and store in refrigerator. You now have a delicious packable lunch garnish.
- 4 bean salad recipe. Yes, you guessed it! Throw another bean there. Chickpeas, pintos or black-eyed peas.
- 5 Bean salad recipe. A fifth bean? Why not. Canned lime, black turtle, or northern beans can be good.
- Balsamic bean salad dressing. Swap out the red wine vinegar for balsamic vinegar, for a little extra sweetness. You may need to reduce sugar (or eliminate it entirely) when using balsamic vinegar.
- Celery. Add even crunchier to mixed bean salads. Cut it finely and mix it.
How long can you keep the bean salad?
Because the salad lasts for at least 3-5 days in the refrigerator, you can make a large batch and eat it for several days. Store it in a container with a tight fitting lid. Some might say that it even tastes better after a couple of days.
Type of American cuisine Preparation time: 5 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes Cook time: 4 hours Total time: 10 minutes Servings: 8 servings Calories: 282 kcal
- 1 cup of red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can cut drained green beans (see notes)
- 1 (15 oz.) Can cut drained yellow wax beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a container with a lid that is large enough to hold the salad.
- Add green beans, wax beans, green beans, red onion, and parsley and mix until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to mix flavors.
- Remove from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving and bring to room temperature.
8 ounces EACH fresh green beans and fresh green beans can be substituted for canned beans. To blanch fresh beans, boil 3 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of salt in a large saucepan or saucepan. Add green and yellow beans, bring to a boil and simmer until slightly softened, but still tender, crisp, and brightly colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and immediately soak in an ice bath to prevent beans from cooking.
Calories :: 282kcal