Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Sweet Potato Soup it is the perfect autumn and winter soup. It's a rich blend of creamy sweet potatoes, carrots, fresh ginger, and a hint of spice. Complete with a swirl of coconut cream, watercress, and crushed pistachios for a delicious and hearty meal throughout the week.
But if you're looking for sides and protein to serve, you can't go wrong with my cauliflower puree, green beans, and crispy baked chicken thighs.
The best sweet potato soup recipe
If you've been following me for a while, you'll know that sweet potatoes are one of my favorite cooking ingredients. Since roast to spiraling, this vegetable never fails when it comes to giving a delicious and natural autumn flavor.
So now that we are knee deep in sweet potato season, turning it into a creamy soup is obvious! This sweet potato soup is velvety, flavorful, and has a hint of spice that will keep you coming back for more.
What type of sweet potato to use
Nowadays, it is very common to be confused with the variety of sweet potatoes available in your local market. Some are called sweet potatoes, others are called sweet potatoes, but how do we know exactly what is what? Here is a quick breakdown of what to look out for:
- Choose the orange and red skinned potatoes. These are known as the "wet varieties" and tend to be sweeter, creamier, and less starchy.
- Don't get confused with yams. Sometimes red and orange skinned potatoes can be labeled as yams. But these tend to be more starchy and dry.
- Look for smooth and soft skin. Take a closer look and make sure there are no discolorations and that the potato is good and firm.
How to make sweet potato soup
Look the following video and follow the step by step instructions. Joins easily!
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Cook the chopped onions and carrots in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook in oil and stir frequently for 6-8 minutes until carrots begin to soften.
- Add garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and paprika. to the pot and stir for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potato and vegetable stock to the pot. Turn on high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low to let the soup simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a high-power blender. and mix on high heat for one minute, or until creamy enough.
- Garnish it with coconut cream or yogurt, chopped pistachios, red pepper flakes, ground black pepper, and watercress, and serve!
Tips when mixing
- Make sure your sweet potatoes and carrots are tender. You don't want to mix vegetables that are still stiff. Otherwise, you'll be left with a slightly thick, non-creamy soup base.
- Leave the top portion of your blender open for steam to escape. If you keep this opening closed, pressure will build up inside the blender and most likely will open the lid. A messy kitchen is not ideal!
- Do not fill your blender beyond the maximum fill line. Not only will it not mix as smoothly as you like, it can unexpectedly open the lid.
Can you freeze sweet potato soup?
The answer is yes! If you plan to freeze this soup for another rainy day, you can store it in a freezer-safe container, like Weck Jars, or in silicone soup trays, like Souper Cubes.
If you plan to save it for later in the week, just pour it into a pot or container and put it in the fridge. This soup will be good for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Try these sweet potato recipes
If you loved this sweet potato soup, I have some other delicious sweet potato recipes that will keep your belly full and happy this season.
Do you want more healthy soups? I cover you with several more Vitamix soup recipes! A new flavor for every day of the week.
Sweet potato soup recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes.
Total time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 people
Sweet potato soup is a rich blend of creamy sweet potatoes, carrots, fresh ginger, and a hint of spice! It is velvety, hearty and delicious.
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil or olive oil
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth or more for a finer consistency
- coconut cream or yogurt
- Red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and carrots and stir frequently for 6-8 minutes, or until the carrots have softened slightly.
Add garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and paprika. Stir for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
Add diced sweet potato and vegetable stock. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, add a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender.
Use a ladle to transfer the soup ingredients to a high-power blender. Blend at high temperature for one minute or until creamy. You can add more broth or water for a thinner consistency.
To serve, pour into a bowl and garnish with coconut cream or yogurt, chopped pistachios, red pepper flakes, ground black pepper, and watercress.
- Try not to exceed 1 1/2 pounds of sweet potato, otherwise you may exceed the maximum fill line in your blender.
- Remember that you can always add a little water or broth as needed to achieve a thinner consistency.
Calories: 254kcal, Carbs: 45g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 1069mg, Potassium: 760mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 13g, Vitamin A: 32374IU, Vitamin C: 9mg, Calcium: 75mg Iron: 1mg
Sweet Potatoes Soup