Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Sweet potato puree make the perfect accompaniment sweet and salty. They're rich, creamy, and pair well with any main dish, especially on vacation. It only brings together 4 simple ingredients to prepare this delicious and easy recipe.
While mashed potatoes is a crowd favorite, don't overlook its counterpart: sweet potatoes.
Not only do sweet potatoes have a rich flavor, but their delicious texture is irresistible. And when I say irresistible, I mean I can gobble up half a batch of sweet potatoes at once, whether roasted or baked!
But when sweet potatoes are transformed into mashed potatoes, it takes it to a whole new level. With this recipe, butter and creaminess improve with every bite.
How to prepare and cook sweet potatoes
While there are a few options on how to prepare and cook sweet potatoes, I think the easiest process is peeling, dicing, and boiling. Here is the breakdown.
- Peel potatoes using a manual peeler (my favorite peeler is linked in the recipe notes).
- Dice the potatoes in large or small cubes.
- Boil the potatoes until tender, and then place in large bowl to prepare for mashing.
How to Puree Sweet Potatoes
Now that you have your sweet potatoes warm and tender, it's time to puree. There are a few ways to do it, but it comes down to the preference in texture.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- For a thick style mash which is a mixture of thick and creamy potatoes, it is better to use a fork or hand grinder.
- For an ultra smooth and creamy consistencyYou will want to use a hand mixer or a food processor. But remember that there is a very fine line between mashed potatoes and mashed potatoes perfectly. If you do it too much, it almost becomes too soft like baby food!
Sweet potato puree flavor variations
You can take your sweet potato puree on a tastier or sweeter route, depending on how you want to season it.
- Garlic and herb: Add minced and sautéed garlic to the mixture along with some herbs such as chives, parsley, or thyme.
- Sweet bacon: Use my baked bacon recipe and apply maple syrup over each piece for a sweet and salty flavor. Then mash the pieces of bacon over the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Smoked and spicy: Add 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, smoked paprika, ground coriander, and ground chipotle chili into your mix.
Can you freeze mashed sweet potatoes?
The answer is yes! Just be sure to store them in a safe freezer container or large ziplock bag. They can be frozen up to 5 months.
To reheat themPlace the potatoes in the refrigerator overnight to defrost them. Then add the sweet potato puree to a saucepan to reheat in the oven. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes until heated through. If the consistency isn't creamy enough, you can add a little nut milk to the mixture and stir well.
You can also reheat the mashed sweet potatoes in the microwave in 30-second increments.
What to eat with mashed potatoes
Let's be honest, sweet potato puree goes with just about everything. But some delicious combinations to match with them are …
More sweet potato recipes
If you have a few more sweet potatoes left, don't waste them. Prepare some of my other delicious sweet potato recipes, including:
Sweet potato puree
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
Sweet potato puree is the perfect recipe for healthy garnish. It comes with just a couple of simple ingredients and is perfect for the holidays or any day of the week.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted or shortening
- 1/4 cup milk, dairy-free milk also works
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley, finely diced
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
Peel the sweet potatoes with a hand peeler.
Cut the potatoes into pieces and place them in the pot. Cook the potatoes for 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Drain the potatoes in a strainer.
Place the potatoes in a large bowl and mash them with a hand grinder or electric mixer.
Then pour the butter and milk into the mixture and continue mixing until creamy. Spice with salt and pepper.
Scoop the mashed sweet potatoes into a bowl, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve!
- To create a creamier consistency, use a food processor, hand mixer, or stand mixer to mix.
- So that it does not contain dairy, you can change butter for butter and use any type of nut milk.
- My favorite peeler is a Y peeler. It's the best for peeling potatoes!
Calories: 198kcal, Carbs: 34g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 154mg, Potassium: 573mg, Fiber: 5g, Vitamin A: 24309IU, Vitamin C: 4mg , Calcium: 62 mg, Iron: 1 mg