Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Stuffed zucchini with Italian sausage, marinara sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni creates the tastiest zucchini cans filled with pizza. It's a great gluten-free way to enjoy zucchini-wrapped pizza.
Courgettes are in season! There is so much you can do with zucchini, like making zucchini noodles, zucchini bread, zucchini egg muffins, zucchini lasagna, and zucchini fries.
But today I'm filling zucchini with a handful of pizza toppings for the tastiest zucchini stuffed pizza pots. Bonus: They're naturally gluten-free, low-carb, keto, and paleo. And you don't have to worry about a scab.
I previously made Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats, so it seemed like pizza was the best option. I mean, who can argue with a pizza recipe that is served healthily inside the zucchini? It's kind of like making a cauliflower pizza crust from a healthy cauliflower, but with zucchini.
This is a great recipe for the night of the week or an excellent recipe for the night of the game, depending on the season. Little hands and big hands love these stuffed zucchini. Trust me when I say they will be eaten right away!
Pizza stuffed zucchini ingredients
You can take your favorite pizza toppings and put them in zucchini. This is what is in mine:
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Zucchini: Choose medium to large zucchini so you can fill more filling.
- Italian sausage: The tasty Italian sausage adds meat and a delicious flavor.
- Marinara sauce: You can't eat pizza without tomato sauce and my homemade marinara sauce is divine.
- Mozarella Rotate a little fresh mozarella for a cheesy and cheesy goodness.
- Pepperoni: Mini pepperoni fits perfectly on top of the zucchini and you can line up as many as fit.
How to make stuffed zucchini jars
This recipe is incredibly easy (like my stuffed avocados) and takes less than 30 minutes. This is how you do it in 8 simple steps:
- Cook Sausage on the stove until golden brown.
- Add the marinara sauce to the sausage and stir together.
- Slice zucchini in half and scoop out the seeds, creating a well for the ingredients.
- Fill in the zucchini with the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle mozzarella on top.
- Site pepperoni along the zucchini.
- To bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes.
- Decorate with fresh basil before serving.
Variations of stuffed zucchini
For my recipe, I went with a classic sausage pizza. But you can use your favorite pizza toppings and put them in your zucchini. Here are some variations and ideas for you:
- Pepperoni pizza: fill with marinara sauce, cheese and pepperoni.
- Hawaiian Pizza: fill with marinara sauce, cheese, ham and pineapple.
- Pizza for meat lovers: fill with marinara sauce, sausages, meatballs, pepperoni and sauteed mushrooms.
- Barbecue chicken pizza: Fill with this barbecue chicken mixture and top with cheese and chives.
- Vegetarian pizza: stuffed with marinara sauce, roasted red peppers, baby spinach, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes and olives.
As you can see, the options are endless, so have fun! Let me know down in the comments what topping you chose for your stuffed zucchini pizza.
And if you're looking for more ideas on what to do with all your zucchini, check out all my Zucchini Recipes on this website. Lots of inspiration!
Stuffed Zucchini Pizza Boats
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
Zucchini stuffed with Italian sausage, marinara sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni creates the best zucchini jars filled with pizza! It's a great gluten-free, low-carb way to enjoy pizza!
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 pound of Italian sausage
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 24 slices of pepperoni
- fresh basil, to garnish
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add the sausage to a skillet over medium heat and use a spatula to divide it. Cook over medium heat until well cooked and golden.
Pour marinara sauce over cooked sausage and stir. Remove from the fire.
Cut the zucchini in half. Use a small spoon to scoop out the seeds, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch of meat around the outside of the zucchini.
Place the zucchini on a baking sheet.
Place several tablespoons of the sausage and sauce in each zucchini half, until they are full. Top with mozzarella cheese and several pepperoni slices.
Bake the stuffed zucchini for 20-25 minutes, until tender and crisp. If you want a softer zucchini, bake a few more minutes.
Serve zucchini stuffed jars while hot and enjoy!
- I'm using an old baking sheet, but if you need a new one I always recommend a sturdy baking sheet that won't warp.
- Be sure to read all of my previous pizza variations to keep this recipe interesting!
Calories: 292kcal, Carbs: 5g, Protein: 14g, Fat: 24g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 61mg, Sodium: 777mg, Potassium: 528mg, Fiber: 1g, Vitamin A: 424IU, Vitamin C: 21mg , Calcium: 103 mg, Iron: 2 mg