Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This ball of smoked salmon cheese It is always a party favorite. It's a simple mix of smoked salmon, cream cheese, sour cream, red onion, and lemon pepper, then rolled into chopped nuts and herbs. It's smooth, creamy, tasty, smoky, and highly addictive! Your guests will love it.
If you've been following me on Instagram stories, you might have taken a look at my mom's famous ball of smoked salmon cheese. She prepares this appetizer every holiday, and I must say that this salmon recipe never fails. It is the perfect sauce that is a mixture of tasty, creamy and crispy ingredients.
Just put crackers or vegetable sticks around the ball and you'll have one beautiful dish to serve at your next party!
What type of salmon to use
For this recipe, you can use canned and fresh salmon. I prefer fresh salmon as I feel it has a better texture and flavor. But, if you are looking for a simple and quick alternative, then canned salmon is the way to go.
Normally, my mother uses homemade smoked salmon that comes directly from Alaska, thanks to my aunt. But if you don't have smoked salmon, you can easily create yours. Just add a teaspoon of liquid smoke to the mix.
Smoked salmon cheese ball ingredients
Throw this delicious ball along with some easy ingredients.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Cream cheese: This is a good part of the recipe that creates a thick and creamy texture, perfect for dipping!
- Smoked salmon: Smoked adds depth of flavor.
- Sour cream: Makes the mixture creamier and softer to scoop.
- Red onion: Combines very well with smoked salmon.
- Lemon and pepper seasoning: Helps brighten the flavor with a little sparkle.
- pecan nuts: Create the perfect crispy outer layer.
- Fresh herbs: Add freshness to the entire dish. You can never go wrong with more herbs, can you?
How to make a ball of smoked salmon cheese
The best thing about this recipe is that it is combined in only 10 minutes! Just mix the ingredients and roll them into a ball. Here we'll explain to you how to do it.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, salmon, red onion, and lemon pepper. to a mixing bowl.
- Mix everything with your hands, or a stand mixer on a low setting.
- Roll the cheese mixture into a ball with your hands. Note that the cheese will be smooth at first, but it will firm up once it has cooled.
- Mix your chopped nuts and herbs. Then place them in a single layer on a plate or cutting board.
- Roll the cheese ball into the nut mixture, until the entire exterior is covered.
- Serve immediately with crackers or vegetable slices, or refrigerate until desired.
Note: Be sure to squeeze all the liquid out of the canned salmon so there is no excess liquid.
Get creative with the outer layer
In addition to using a layer of nuts, you can also add almonds or chopped nuts. If you want to change the herbs, parsley and dill have a great flavor combined with smoked salmon.
More salmon recipes
If this appetizer got you hooked on salmon, here are some other healthy recipes to make this season.
Smoked salmon cheese ball
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Servings: 12 servings
This recipe for smoked salmon cheese balls is always a party favorite! It's a highly addictive, creamy snack recipe that everyone will love.
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 12 ounces smoked salmon, or regular salmon plus 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke (see notes above)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (chives, parsley, dill, etc.), chopped
Add cream cheese, sour cream, salmon, red onion, and lemon pepper to a bowl.
Use your hands to mix everything. Alternatively, you can use a stand mixer.
Roll the cheese mixture into a ball with your hands. The cheese will be soft, but it will reaffirm once it is cold. If you feel it is too soft to make a ball, you can cool it down for 30 minutes.
Mix your chopped walnuts and fresh herbs. Arrange them in a single layer on a plate or cutting board.
Roll the cheese ball into the walnuts, until the entire outside is covered.
Serve immediately with crackers or vegetable slices or refrigerate the cheese ball until desired. The flavor intensifies the longer the ball sits in the refrigerator. So you can certainly do this the day before it is necessary.
- I've tried several brands of liquid smoke and this is by far my favorite.
- You can also do this dairy-free using a vegan cream cheese spread.
Calories: 227kcal, Carbs: 4g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 49mg, Sodium: 346mg, Potassium: 152mg, Fiber: 2g, Vitamin A: 606IU, Vitamin C: 1mg , Calcium: 52 mg, Iron: 1 mg