Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This slow cooker whole chicken (roasted style) It is juicy on the inside with delicious skin, herbaceous and crisp on the outside. It is a favorite slow cooker chicken recipe. Prepare this in just 15 minutes in the morning and come home for a full dinner!
Roast chicken is a great idea for busy nights. It is delicious and feeds an entire family. But instead of taking a trip to Costco or the market, you can do it at home in your slow cooker or crock pot. So easy!
By cooking slowly, you will get a moist and juicy chicken every time. It is infallible. Just add some chopped vegetables under the chicken and sprinkle herbs and seasonings on top for an irresistible taste.
Oh, and the best part is the versatility of this chicken. You can eat it as it is or break it into small pieces as part of preparing your meal. Just mix it in a salad or mix it in a soup – the options are endless! Now let's get ready.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tips
Before getting started, here are some tips and things to keep in mind when cooking.
Create a base for the chicken
The whole chicken will give off a lot of juice as it cooks, so you'll want to lift it from the bottom of the slow cooker. The best way to do this? Add large chunks of vegetables to the bottom of the pot, such as carrots, potatoes, parsnips, onions, or sweet potatoes. Oh, and your garnish is ready too.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Note: In this recipe, I am using a 4QT slow cooker. But if you have a bigger clay pot, I suggest adding a little more vegetables. Just make sure your chicken doesn't touch the lid.
Be careful when removing the chicken from the pot.
In fact, you may want to ask for help (if you want it to stay in one piece). Believe me when I say your chicken will be JUICY! Juicier than any roast chicken you've bought at the grocery store. It will break as soon as you try to get it out of the slow cooker. So I suggest using two large spatulas to carefully lift it up.
Is it better to cook over low or high heat?
When it comes to using your crock pot, you can cook the chicken over low or high heat. If you simmer, it will take around 7-8 hours. If cooking over high heat, it will take 3 to 4 hours.
But, I find that the "low and slow" method works best and I prefer the 8 hour cook time. This means that I can prepare the chicken in the morning and have it ready for dinner.
How to get a crisp skin
Slow cooking creates the juiciest interior because you are using moist heat for cooking. The downside is that the skin may not be as crisp as my crispy baked chicken thighs. So, here are three optional steps you can take to get the best crisp, golden skin.
- Rub the raw chicken with a teaspoon of salt and leave it uncovered on a plate in the refrigerator overnight. This will allow the chicken skin to dry and become crispier in the slow cooker.
- Do not add any liquid to the slow cooker. Do not use olive oil on chicken and do not add lemon juice.
- Once the chicken is cooked, transfer it to a baking sheet and place it under the oven broiler for a minute or two to get super crispy skin.
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Slow Cooker
With a few simple steps and a little bit of preparation work, this recipe will be done in no time. This is what you should do.
- Prepare the vegetables. Cut the carrots, parsnip, and onion into large chunks and place them in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Prepare the chicken. First, make sure the giblets have been removed from the entire chicken cavity. Then put it on a tray and rub olive oil on it.
- Sprinkle the herbs and spices over the chicken. Feel free to add more or less according to your preference.
- Slowly cook the chicken. Put the chicken in the pot and simmer the chicken for 7-8 hours (cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken).
- Remove chicken Carefully transfer it to a large plate along with the vegetables and serve!
More recipes to make with leftover chicken
If you have some leftover roasted chicken, destroy it and save it for these delicious chicken recipes.
And if you love this recipe, you'll love my slow-cooked pork. Another favorite reader!
Whole chicken in roast slow cooker
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
standby time: 8 hours
Total time: 8 h 25 min
This slow cooker whole chicken is juicy on the inside with luscious, herbaceous and crispy skin on the outside. It is a favorite slow cooker chicken recipe.
- 2 large carrots, cut into large pieces
- 1 parsnip, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 whole chicken (4-5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
Add carrots, parsnips, and onion to your slow cooker. If you have a large slow cooker, feel free to add more vegetables.
Add the herbs and spices to a small bowl and mix.
Remove giblets from chicken cavity.
Sprinkle the herbs and spices over the chicken and rub them with your hands. Then place the chicken in the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
Add the lid to the slow cooker and simmer the chicken for 7-8 hours, depending on the size of your chicken. When done, carefully remove and serve.
Calories: 308kcal, Carbs: 8g, Protein: 24g, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 95mg, Sodium: 107mg, Potassium: 433mg, Fiber: 2g, Vitamin A: 3821IU, Vitamin C: 8mg , Calcium: 35 mg, Iron: 2 mg
Intensive cooking Chicken