Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
When I know I'm going to have a very busy day, I dine in the slow cooker in the morning to make life a little easier. Some of our favorite clay pot recipes include barbecued ribs, sweet and sour meatballs, and these Asian-style chicken drumsticks.
The slow cooker is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets – it's so easy and convenient to have dinner waiting for you when you get home after a long day! These slow cooker chicken legs are tender, juicy, and topped with the most delicious sauce.
How are slow cooker chicken thighs made?
First, cook the chicken thighs in a pan with oil until golden brown to unlock the flavor. Whisk in a little garlic and honey sauce containing garlic, honey, and soy sauce. Place the thighs in the slow cooker smeared with the honey and garlic sauce. After a few hours, you'll want to add a little cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Once the chicken is cooked, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and you're ready to serve.
Tips for Slow Cooked Chicken Drumsticks
- Instead of using boneless chicken thighs, you can use boneless chicken thighs or boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Feel free to use any chicken cut you prefer or have available.
- I like to brown the chicken thighs before placing them in the slow cooker to bring out the flavor of the chicken and give the meat some texture. If you don't have time to brown the chicken, you can skip that step and simply place the raw thighs in the pot with the sauce.
- The honey and garlic sauce can be prepared up to 3 days in advance.
- This chicken stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can enjoy these thighs as leftovers and they are a great candidate for meal preparation.
Slow Cooker Chicken Leg Variations
This honey and garlic sauce is one of my personal favorites and pays me lots of compliments. You can add a few other flavors to this great sauce for a small variety.
- Honey Ginger: Use 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger instead of garlic.
- Honey Lime: Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice to the sauce.
- Sweet and Spicy: Add sriracha to the sauce to taste.
- Orange Chicken: Add 2 tablespoons of orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest to the sauce.
Can you put frozen chicken in a slow cooker?
I don't recommend putting frozen chicken in a slow cooker. You should always defrost chicken before slowly cooking it. Frozen chicken in the slow cooker can cause problems. The main problem is the risk of bacterial growth. Frozen chicken takes longer to heat in a slow cooker than thawed chicken, which means that frozen chicken can allow bacteria to grow while slowly heating. Another problem can occur with frozen chicken in a slow cooker if there is not enough liquid. The frozen chicken that touches the kitchen can be cooked too long before the inside of the chicken has finished cooking because the frozen inside takes longer to cook. You'll be safer and get a better taste from food by defrosting the chicken before placing it in a slow cooker.
Can you cook the chicken in a slow cooker?
You can cook the chicken in a slow cooker. Overcooked chicken will be dry and can be tough. Take care to check the time on your slow cooker chicken to make sure it is tender and juicy. If you're worried about overcooking chicken, use a chicken drumstick recipe (like this one) instead of a chicken breast recipe. The extra fat in chicken thighs helps protect them from drying out.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
This slow cooker recipe uses one of my best sauces to make extraordinary chicken thighs. This sweet and spicy sauce on a tender chicken dish will become a favorite of yours.
More slow cooker recipes you'll love
- Slow Cooked Chicken Thighs
- Slow cooker chili
- Sweet and sour meatballs (slow cooker)
- Pork tenderloin over low heat
- Ham and bean soup (slow cooker)
Slow Cooked Chicken Thighs
These slow cooker chicken thighs are topped with a honey and garlic sauce and then cooked in a pot until tender. Serve your chicken legs on steamed rice for a complete meal that the whole family will love!
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cook time: 7 hours Total time: 7 hours 15 minutes
Servings: 6 Calories: 279kcal
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds and chopped coriander to decorate
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat. Season chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Add chicken to slow cooker.
- NOTE: You can skip the browning process if you prefer and simply season the thighs with salt and pepper and then add them to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, tomato sauce, soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil. Pour the sauce over the chicken legs.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water. Add cornstarch mixture to slow cooker.
- Cook 1 hour more or until sauce has thickened. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion, then serve.
Calories :: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 708mg | Potassium: 518mg | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 105 IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1 mg
Slow Cooker Thighs Chicken