Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Sloppy Joe's best recipe is for the ancients you adored as a child; made from scratch, piled on toast, each meaty bite messy and delicious. Grab ground beef and get ready to win some dinner prizes tonight, all in under a half hour.
Need ideas for super fast and super easy ground beef? Try the original Iowa loose meat sandwich, the meatloaf with cheese, the turkey meatballs, or the pasta with homemade meat sauce.
This is one of my favorite recipes for ground beef of all time. My mom made a huge batch of her homemade Sloppy Joes for our annual trip to northern Wisconsin, and she frozen it for the car trip.
When we got to the cabin, dinner was already made for the children, cousins, aunts and uncles, and parents. The kids practically licked their clean dishes, which is useful, when you think about it, less to wash the plate!
Just to be safe, better to do what my mother would do, and triple the recipe.
The best Sloppy Joes are even better in large batches, frozen until you need them for completely satisfying last-minute dinners. Click and slide the number next to "servings" on the recipe card below to adjust the ingredients to match the amount you're feeding – the recipe does the math for you, it's that easy.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
A little Sloppy Joes wiki:
Like all famous recipes, there are many who take responsibility for inventing the Sloppy Joe sandwich, including a bar in Key West.
However, the original Sloppy Joe is much more likely to come from a type of sandwich popular in the early 20th century and from the Great Depression: loose meat and onion cooked in bread.
For almost a hundred years, it is easy to see why people have loved Sloppy Joes. It is simply a cheap, hearty and delicious meal.
The addition of tomato sauce to ground beef can come from the Cuban dish called picadillo, a sweet and spicy ground beef sauce eaten on top of rice.
Sloppy Joes Ingredients:
This is what you need to skip the Manwich and go straight to the best.
- Ground beef. Or ground turkey, for a healthy Sloppy Joe.
- Onion. My mom also always adds finely chopped celery.
- Ketchup. Canned tomato sauce is perfect.
- Brown sugar. Because it tastes so good!
- Ground mustard. (An equal amount of Dijon mustard works if you don't have it.)
- White vinegar.
- Worcestershire sauce. This fermented British condiment, full of umami flavors, is your sloppy Joe's secret weapon. Just a little bit gives the sauce an extra body and makes it rich and flavorful. Look for the Lea & Perrins brand, if you can.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Buns. Split and toasted, please.
How to Make Old School Sloppy Joes in a Slow Cooker:
When you want to have dinner as soon as you walk out the door, take out your clay pot.
- First brown the meat in advance, then toss the rest of the ingredients into the pot.
- Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
How to make Sloppy Joes vegetarians:
The impossible is possible. Vegetarians can also be messy! Make this recipe with your favorite plant-based protein, like …
- Crumbled Firm Tofu
- Vegetarian hamburger
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Seitan or tempeh
- Cooked lentils
Sloppy Joe sides:
What to serve with Sloppy Joes? This star sandwich is almost a meal, but you need something else to complete the menu.
- Open a bag of your favorite potato chips and open a jar of pickles, voila.
- On the other hand, the easy cold pasta salad or the best macaroni salad could be good.
- Wait a minute, there's also a broccoli salad with bacon and cheese.
- Whatever you do, don't forget the dessert! No Bake Peanut Butter Bars are sensational and ready in minutes.
Sloppy Joe's Brilliant Ideas:
- Sloppy Joes homemade with BBQ sauce. Your favorite barbecue sauce can be added in place of tomato sauce for a smoked take on a classic Joe.
- Mix the meat. In case you were wondering, ground chicken, turkey, or even lamb can also be neglected. Do you have a deer connection? Of course, go crazy and use it.
- Sloppy Joes with peppers and onions. Diced bell peppers, extra onion, even garlic make this simple recipe a little more unique.
- Tomato soup. You can add a can of tomato soup to ground beef if that's what you have. Add a little extra tomato sauce to give it some extra tomato flavor.
- Sloppy Joe without tomato sauce. Substitute barbecue sauce or tomato paste.
- Healthy Sloppy Joes. Drain some additional vegetables there. Go ahead, do it! Have your kids sneak more vegetables into finely chopped zucchini, carrots, or sun-dried tomatoes. No one will be wiser!
- Hot spicy. If you like the heat, add a tablespoon of ancho chili powder, a teaspoon of ground cumin, or half a teaspoon of chipotle powder; It could take your Joe to the next level.
- The wine is fine. As it does in a Bolognese sauce, a touch of wine adds a wonderful depth of flavor and some acidity to balance the natural sweetness of a Sloppy Joe. Don't worry, the alcohol will cook over time.
- Sugar Free Sloppy Joe Recipe. Leave the sugar and prepare this recipe with tomato sauce without added sugar. If you want a little sweetness, try some monk fruit sugar or a little honey.
- Sandwich ingredients. Since I'm from Wisconsin, a Sloppy Joe wouldn't be complete without a thick slice or Wisconsin cheese, placed right on top of the meat to melt it.
But when it comes to other Sloppy Joe toppings, the sky's the limit: chopped chives, pickles, green olives, a tablespoon of sour cream, or even a handful of mashed potato chips. This is your sandwich, after all!
The best bread for Sloppy Joes:
I love toasted and soft buns for Sloppy Joes, especially when they're buttered. Some readers prefer pretzel buns or soft fluffy muffin buns.
But don't let that stop you if you forgot to buy buns in the store: serve them with pasta or rice (I even have a One Pot Sloppy Joe pot casserole)
Embrace the herbs – A touch of thyme or oregano from the garden can only be a good thing.
Don't forget the ingredients: Since I'm from Wisconsin, a Sloppy Joe wouldn't be complete without a thick slice of Wisconsin cheese (known as "wonk" in my family), placed right on top of the meat to melt.
How to Freeze Sloppy Joes for Late Night Meals and Dinners:
- Sloppy Joes leftovers can be turned into a saucepan with a crust dough, but the filling freezes beautifully too.
- Once cold, freeze the minced meat mixture in smaller portions to defrost when you want the best dinner of all.
- Or freeze a giant batch and serve it in your own booth, as soon as you get there!
Sloppy Joe's best recipe is for the ancients you adored as a child; made from scratch, piled on toast, each meaty bite messy and delicious. Grab some ground beef and get ready to win some dinner prizes tonight, all in under half an hour. Cuisine: American Preparation time: 5 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Servings: 8 servings Calories: 183kcal
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sandwich buns, divided
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, combine meat and onion. Cook until meat is browned, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.
- Pour sauce ingredients over drained beef and stir until evenly coated. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (cover if you prefer a sloppier Sloppy Joe). Serve in buns.
Some popular reader variations include adding finely chopped celery, bell pepper, or carrots.
Calories :: 183kcal
sloppy best recipe