Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This post may contain affiliate links.
Shrimp Stuffed Avocados: If you like ceviche, you'll LOVE these EASY avocados stuffed with a mix of shrimp, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and more, plus a little hot sauce for a touch of heat! There's a time-saving shortcut, so they're ready in 15 minutes with no hassle!
What is in shrimp stuffed avocados?
I love shrimp ceviche and this recipe has many similarities, but it is served in an avocado as well as having avocado incorporated into the shrimp mix.
I've made avocado stuffed with beef taco before and it was time to do it with shrimp. My daughter adored them as much as I did. They are naturally gluten-free, easy and ready in 15 minutes.
We definitely think this is a meal, but for the really hearty diners, it could have half as an appetizer before another Mexican-inspired meal.
The ingredients are simple, but the flavors work incredibly well together. It seems like you should eat them on the beach in Mexico with your toes in the sand with a margarita in your hand.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
For this recipe you will need:
- Red onion
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Hot sauce, optional
What type of shrimp to use?
For this recipe I used shrimp from 40-50 units that had already been cleaned, cooked, and cooled from the seafood counter in my supermarket.
I used shrimp for 40-50 beads, which means there are 40-50 per pound. I myself did not want to clean 4-50 shrimp. No thanks.
You can always use bigger shrimp, but for this recipe, and it's a rare situation where bigger is not better when it comes to shrimp, but for me it's too much of a bite with bigger shrimp and avocado and everything in between.
There is no point in spending money on large, beautiful shrimp just to cut or halve them. Save the big ones for homemade coconut shrimp.
I'm sure I could use frozen shrimp that I cook according to package directions, but its texture is always a bit funky for me, so I don't go that route.
If you're cooking fresh shrimp yourself rather than cheating at the butcher, I recommend boiling clean shrimp for 1 minute and immediately soaking them in an ice bath. Small shrimp cook incredibly fast and that's all the time it will take to cook. Time and effort are in cleaning, not cooking, the shrimp.
What type of avocado to use?
Please note I made this recipe before our world turned upside down and the ingredients became difficult to find.
With that said, I used two oversized (giant) Hass avocados that I cut in half. So I had four halves and one serving to me is two halves, so this recipe serves two generously, but obviously doubles, etc. easily.
Normally, despite current times, these are avocados that cost $ 2.99 each at my supermarket (for non-organic ones) because they are so much bigger than regular-sized avocados.
If you're using a more normal-sized avocado, I suggest three of them, or six halves.
You want avocados to be ripe, but not to crumble ripe. Save them for the guacamole.
My grocery stores tend to sell rock-hard avocados (and Trader Joe's are even tougher) and I need to wait a few days, or up to a week sometimes, for them to ripen, so it's not a problem that I am dealing. avocados too soft. But I only mention this in case you have super mature ones on your hands. Make this guacamole.
Like their cousin Shrimp Ceviche, these stuffed avocados have a lot of flexibility when it comes to ingredients.
Substitution ideas include:
- Scoop out any extra filling with tortilla chips
- I used Roma tomatoes but cherries or other varieties are fine
- I used an English cucumber but the normal cucumber is fine
- Add bell peppers of any color.
- Add chopped fresh jalapeños
- Add half a can of roasted green chilies to the fire
- I used Cholula hot sauce or tried huichol or any of the thousands of other varieties. As written, even with two tablespoons of Cholula I did not find this to be too spicy, but I omit or reduce the flavor if you are sensitive to heat.
- For those who hate shrimp like my daughter, skip it and do it without it. She loves it this way!
- 1 pound small shrimp, cooked (count 40 to 50; Tip: To save time, buy clean, cooked, and chilled shrimp in the butcher area of your supermarket)
- 1 medium roma tomato, diced very small
- 1/3 medium English cucumber, diced very small
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced very small
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- hot sauce, to taste (I used 2 tablespoons of Cholula; or try Huichol)
- 2 extra-large or 3 medium-sized avocados, halved and with approximately 50% of the meat removed and mixed
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients (if you are using raw shrimp, I recommend boiling clean shrimp for 1 minute or until ready and putting them in an ice bath to cool) and stir to combine. When it comes to avocados, you want to widen and fluff the area a bit to fill the avocado halves so there is room to add the shrimp mix, but you don't want them to be totally clean. Take out about 50% of the meat and stir this into the shrimp mixture.
- Taste the mix and add salt, pepper, lime juice, additional hot sauce as desired (the 2 tablespoons I added kicked it in, but it wasn't too spicy for our tastes) etc. to taste.
- Pour the mixture into the hollowed avocados and serve immediately. The recipe is better fresh.
one Amount per proportion: Calories: 626 Total Fat: 34 g Saturated Fat: 5 g Trans Fat: 0 g Unsaturated Fat: 26 g Cholesterol: 479 mg Sodium: 2757 mg Carbohydrates: 29 g Fiber: 15 g Sugar: 5 g Protein: 57 g
Shrimp Ceviche – The EASIEST way to make traditional shrimp ceviche and it tastes the best! Ready in 30 minutes, excellent as an appetizer, side dish or as a healthy main dish that everyone LOVES!
Lime and Coriander and Black Bean Shrimp Salad: Tender juicy shrimp, black beans, avocado, cilantro and more topped with a lime sauce that is a PARTY in your mouth. An EASY and HEALTHY Mexican-inspired salad that's ready in 10 minutes!
Taco Stuffed Avocados – Like Avocados? Then you WILL LOVE these avocados STUFFED with tacos with ground beef, CHEESE and more! EASY, ready in 15 minutes, a family favorite and perfect for busy nights!
Honey and Lemon Shrimp and Corn Salad: Tender juicy shrimp nestled in a crispy fresh salad and all topped with an IRRESISTIBLE honey and lemon sauce. An EASY and HEALTHY salad that's ready in 10 minutes!
Avocado Chicken Black Bean Salad: A Mexican-inspired salad with tender chicken, black beans, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, coriander, lime juice, and more. EASY, ready in 20 minutes, HEALTHY and full of party flavors galore!
Lime Cream Battered Shrimp Tacos – Quick, Easy, Restaurant-Quality Tacos at Home! Juicy shrimp battered with beer, avocado, cheese and a delicious lime cream to top it all off! Perfect for weekday dinners and easy entertainment!
Easy shrimp cocktail: goodbye overpriced trays. Learn the secrets to making your own perfect shrimp cocktail in 15 minutes! Juicy, sweet and sooo much more flavor!
Roasted shrimp with green goddess sauce: healthy, foolproof and ready in 10 minutes! Juicy shrimp and creamy sauce are perfect together! (Works great as a veggie sauce or salad dressing too)
Coconut Shrimp – An Outback Steakhouse impersonator. It's fast, easy, and guaranteed to succeed in restaurants and take-away versions! Perfectly crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside and full of coconut flavor without being heavy or greasy.
We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees through advertising and links to amazon.com.