Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Little ones can be picky: one day they love a meal, the next day they hate it. Guess what food my children always like? PASTA! I am sure you are not alone. Heck, who doesn't like pasta?
While I've been making sausages and kale pasta for decades, it's only in the last few years that I've started adding white beans. Inspired by my Italian brother-in-law, white beans add a delicious creamy texture to the dish along with a strong boost of protein and fiber.
Beans are not only a great way to stretch your food budget, but they're also kid-friendly (at least in my house!) And a great source of other vitamins and nutrients. We usually use cannellini beans, but any white bean would work very well.
Serve with a simple arugula salad and dinner is done in about 20 minutes.
Your fork is waiting.
Sausage pasta, kale and white beans
The best dinner on weekdays, this hearty whole-wheat pasta recipe is filled with sweet Italian sausages, kale, and white beans.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cook time 20 minutes Total time 25 minutes
Servings4 Calories 477kcal
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne (or any short pasta)
- 4 links of Italian turkey sausage (sweet or spicy)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 cups kale (chopped)
- 1 cup white beans (drained and rinsed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1 cup of starchy cooking water.
- While the pasta is cooking, place a deep skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle with cooking spray. Remove the sausage from the casings and add it to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to break the sausage into small pieces and cook until golden, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic to the sausage and heat for 30 seconds to release the flavor. Add the kale to the pot along with 1/2 cup of the reserved starchy cooking liquid from the pasta. Cover the pan with a lid to quickly wilt the kale.
- Add the cooked pasta, white beans, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serving: 1 cup | Calories: 477kcal | Carbohydrates: 57.2g | Protein: 31.1 g | Fat: 17.8g | Saturated Fat: 3.9g | Monounsaturated fat: 13.9 g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 796mg | Fiber: 9.9 g | Sugar: 0.3g
Check out my Pinterest board for healthier and easier dinner recipes!