If you were to ask me what I would choose to eat for dessert, I would always say some kind of chocolate.
Every time we go out to eat, I always look at the dessert menu first.
I need to know what to save space in my stomach for, you know ?!
If there is some chocolate on the menu – and there usually is – I always always choose it.
My favorite is a super decadent chocolate cake, but I also want to take any kind of chocolate dessert.
I feel like melted lava cake is very popular to have on menus, but I've always dreamed of making it at home myself.
Add salted caramel melted lava cookies.
Definitely 100% shekel worthy.
What is a molten lava cake?
A molten lava cake is like mimicking a volcano.
Hot, nasty chocolate liquid is in the middle of the half-baked cake, and when you slice it in half, it seeps out into a river of chocolate goodness.
Mine doesn't stay afloat in the middle
You've cooked it too long!
You just have to cook it until the middle is a little vague and then immediately pull it out of the oven, otherwise it will stick afterwards.
Mine fell apart when I turned it over
That's probably because it wasn't structurally cooked enough.
The pages may have looked cooked, but it structurally could not hold when you turned it over.
I don't like dark chocolate.
You can make this with semisweet chocolate chips if you prefer it or milk chocolate.
What can I serve this with?
A huge scoop of ice cream on top, DUH!
Should I use the salted caramel?
No, you definitely don't have to, but that's a third of the goodness, isn't it ?!
Can I do this in advance?
You can make dough ahead of time, but no, this cake needs to be made and eaten right away.
So I can't freeze it.
Salted caramel melted lava cakes for two
The perfect treat for you and yours on any weekday! Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15 min Total time: 30 minutes Calories: 323kcal
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour for all purposes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tsp salted caramel sauce, divided
- Vanilla ice cream for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a heat-resistant glass bowl over a pot of water, or use a double boiler.
- Melt chocolate and butter together, then remove from heat.
- Whisk together the sugar, flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture. Whisk to incorporate.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and whisk until completely incorporated.
- Divide the dough among 2 greased 6-ounce ramekins.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salted caramel to the center of the dough in each ramekin.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the cakes on the cake are set and the center is slightly crisp.
- Turn the ramekin on a plate, top with ice, and serve.
Nutrition facts Salted caramel melted lava cakes with two amounts per. Serving (1 cake) calories 323 calories from fat 171 % Daily Value * Fat 19g29% carbohydrates 31g10% Fiber 2g8% Sugar 14g16% protein 6g12% * Percent daily values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. * Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Photography by Erin Alvarez