Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
There is nothing better than homemade goodies, especially during the holidays. I like to offer brittle chocolate covered peanut Oreos or these delicious rum balls to my guests.
When they spend the holidays, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing festive goodies. These unbaked rum balls take just a few minutes to assemble, and are the perfect combination of nuts and chocolate.
How are rum balls made?
Making rum balls is all about mixing the tasty ingredients in a pool of melted chocolate. First melt some chocolate in the microwave. Stir the sifted powdered sugar into the chocolate. Mix together dark rum, vanilla, and corn syrup. In a separate bowl, take a few crushed vanilla wafers, walnuts, and salt, and stir. The wafers and walnuts enter the chocolate mixture and their "dough" is complete. After the dough cools down a bit in the refrigerator, roll the dough into balls. Dip those balls into sparks. If the balls are soft, cool them down a bit to firm them up.
Tips for the perfect sweet
- Keep the dough cold to make it easier to roll into balls. If the dough heats up, put it back in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- If the balls dry out and sparks become difficult to apply, apply a little water to the surface of the uncoated balls.
- While I like the festive look of the sparks, you can also top your balls with more chopped nuts, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, or just leave them flavorless.
- Feel free to make them a couple of days before you want to serve them. The extra time helps the crushed cookies in the balls pick up the flavor of the rum. Store the balls in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them.
- I use a food processor to easily crush my cookies and nuts into fine pieces.
Are rum balls alcoholic?
Yes, these balls have alcohol. Since the rum is never cooked, the alcohol remains in the balls. These balls have a kick and are not for those under the age of 21.
Should the rum balls be refrigerated?
If you store these treats in an airtight container in a cool area, they do not need to be refrigerated. However, these balls stick together better, last longer, and taste better when refrigerated. I recommend cooling these treats in an airtight container.
How long are rum balls good for?
These balls remain fresh in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Serve them chilled out of the refrigerator or let them thaw on the counter. Do not store these treats in a warm area. The balls will soften and become more difficult to eat if heated. Storing the balls at a warm temperature will decrease the time they remain cool.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
These rum balls are a fun and festive gift for the holidays. They're full of complex flavors and have just the right amount of kicking to liven up any party or gathering.
More festive delights you'll enjoy
- Eggnog Cookies
- Christmas crack
- Monster cookies (Christmas version)
- Christmas Punch
- Christmas Tree Brownies
These rum balls are a mixture of liquor, chocolate, nuts, and cookie crumbs, all rolled up and topped with sprinkles. The perfect dessert or gift choice for the holidays that is sure to be a hit with family and friends.
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cook time: 1 minute Cooling time 20 minutes Total time: 41 minutes
Servings: 24 Calories: 176kcal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips do not use the Nestlé brand as they do not melt well
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of dark rum
- 3 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of sprinkles
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe container. Start by cooking the chocolate in the microwave for 35 seconds. Stir the chocolate and microwave it for an additional 20 seconds. Repeat until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the powdered sugar into the melted chocolate through a sieve or strainer. Stir the powdered sugar into the melted chocolate.
- Pour the dark rum, corn syrup, and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Mix everything together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix crushed vanilla wafers, crushed walnuts, and salt.
- Mix the vanilla wafer mixture in the chocolate mixture until everything is evenly distributed.
- Cover the mixture and chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator and roll 1-inch balls.
- Dip each of the balls into sparks, chill in the refrigerator until firm, and serve.
Calories :: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 22 g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 106mg | Potassium: 71mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 6 IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1 mg