Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Risotto, deliciously delicious risotto. One random day I woke up anxious for the risotto, but what I didn't wake up was leaving the house to buy the necessary ingredients.
However, for what my pantry lacked in Arborio rice, my fridge made up for it with fresh zucchini. The gears in my head started spinning and I decided to go ahead and make risotto, but using zucchini instead of rice! Innovative! Genius! Haha.
I cut the zucchini into small pieces, and more or less followed a regular Risotto recipe method. Little pieces of vegetables equals rice these days, right? Add delicious mushrooms, white wine, grated Parmesan and a touch of cream ~ oh yeah! Risotto is!
Unlike a normal Risotto recipe, which is a long and slow process, this healthy (and easy!) Low-carb version of the famous Northern Italian dish takes only a fraction of the time. It can be enjoyed as a main dish or even as a garnish full of flavor.
It is a new twist on the zucchini that the whole family will enjoy.
For more vegetables with a twist, try them by size:
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Chimichurri Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Apple and Coriander Salad
- Green beans curry with feta cheese
- Loaded cauliflower cream spinach
- Mashed potatoes with carrot
Risotto Style Mushroom Courgette – Pin It!
- 4 cups zucchini (quartered lengthwise, seeded and finely chopped, or grated with a cheese grater)
- 1 brown onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups white mushroom (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 butter spoons
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil (or any cooking oil of choice)
- 2 tablespoons thick cream
- to taste of salt and ground black pepper
Sauté the onion over medium heat in the oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook over high heat until mushrooms are done.
Add the white wine and allow it to reduce by at least half.
Add the zucchini pieces and some of the chicken stock.
Once the broth has reduced to nothing, add a little more until the zucchini is cooked to the desired level. You may not use the entire cup of broth.
Once the zucchini is cooked, remove it from the heat and add the cream, butter and Parmesan cheese.
Stir until cheese melts.
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Tips and Tricks:
1. It is important to cut the zucchini seeds, as it can sometimes cause a bitter taste. 2. You can add more cheese to your personal taste.
Calories: 212kcal | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 417mg | Potassium: 585mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 598 IU | Vitamin C: 30 mg | Calcium: 139mg | Iron: 1 mg
zucchini mushrooms style risotto