Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
What do Lemon Bundt Cake, Blueberry Lemon Bread and Classic Pound Cake have in common? They all ended up with a perfect sugar coating. It's also easy to customize the flavor with your favorite citrus juice or extract!
Also known as confectionery sugar icing or flat icing, this basic powdered sugar icing forms shiny, thin skin that hardens as it dries. As long as you work fast and serve with confidence, you'll get a beautiful icing that hugs every curve and edge of your dessert.
And speaking of curves, if you have a heirloom pan that's asking to be used, take it out of the storage and bake a cake. There is nothing more beautiful than a personalized icing on a cake baked in an old frying pan. Don't forget to take a photo and post it! I want to see it.
What are the ingredients in a powdered sugar icing?
Two ingredients Two minutes!
Pastry sugar: Because this is not a cooked icing, it is important to use powdered sugar because it dissolves without heat. You can make sugar from your own pastry chef at home with plain white sugar; I will show you how.
Liquid: This could be water, milk, citrus juice, or any type of extract.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
How to make powdered sugar at home
- Pour the granulated sugar into a blender or food processor.
- Blend the sugar until it is a fluffy, fine powdered sugar.
- Use powdered sugar immediately or store it in the pantry for later.
How to make powdered sugar icing
This is just the most basic ratio for making any icing sugar flavor your heart desires. For my Lemon Blueberry Cake recipe, for example, I use water and vanilla to make a lightly scented vanilla icing. However, if you love lemons, you can add just lemon juice to a lemon frosting tart.
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and liquid until smooth.
- Add more sugar or liquid, as needed, to achieve the desired consistency.
- Use immediately.
What are some flavors of powdered icing sugar to try?
Here are some ideas for adding different flavors to the icing.
Keep in mind: Using a liquid that is not concentrated in flavor (such as espresso or apple juice) is not strong enough to flavor the icing. You should use something with strong flavors, such as citrus juice, extracts, or liqueurs.
- Lemon powdered sugar icing: Substitute 1/4 cup lemon juice for the water and skip the vanilla extract. Perfect spilled on my lemon and blueberry bread!
- Lime sugar powder: Substitute 1/4 cup lemon juice for the water and skip the vanilla extract. Delicious pour over my 7UP Pound Cake.
- Orange powdered sugar: Substitute 1/4 cup orange juice for the water and skip the vanilla extract. Delicious pour over my classic sponge cake.
- Powdered sugar icing with almonds: Substitute 1/2 teaspoon of extra almonds for the vanilla extract. Try it in Danish Kringle!
Does icing sugar powder need to be refrigerated?
No, even if you use milk in your frosting. The small amount of milk is stabilized by the large amount of sugar and is considered safe at room temperature for two to three days. Always refrigerate any cake with a frosting that contains eggs or egg whites, or one that has whipped cream frosting or any type of filling.
Think of a powdered sugar icing as the little black dress from the baking world. This versatile sweet frosting makes cakes, cookies and quick breads look polished and very special, and taste better too! Cuisine: American Preparation time: 5 minutes Total time: 5 minutes Servings: 12 Calories: 65kcal
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Mix the powdered sugar, water and vanilla in a bowl over medium heat until smooth. Sprinkle on chilled baked goods or dessert. The enamel will harden in 20 to 30 minutes.
- Lemon powdered sugar icing: Substitute 1/4 cup lemon juice for the water and skip the vanilla extract.
- Lime sugar powder: Substitute 1/4 cup lemon juice for the water and skip the vanilla extract.
- Orange powdered sugar: Substitute 1/4 cup orange juice for the water and skip the vanilla extract.
- Powdered sugar icing with almonds: Substitute 1/2 teaspoon of extra almonds for the vanilla extract.
Calories :: 65kcal