Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Dill Pickle Soup is a creamy soup, potato soup style, loaded with pickles and plenty of flavor. I can guarantee that you have never tried anything like this!
Occasionally, you come across a recipe that grabs your attention and just won't let go. The first time I saw Dill Pickle Soup mentioned, I did a double take and wondered how it would taste. Then I heard some friends raving about this soup and decided I had to try it myself.
My friend Cathy from Noble Pig created this pickled gherkin soup recipe and it is by far the most unique soup I have ever tasted. We are almost entirely a family of pickle lovers and this soup is a pickle lover's dream come true.
My oldest son took his second bite of this pickle soup and declared that this soup was his new lunch option for his birthday meal. This is a GREAT offer in our house because on your birthday you can choose all the meals of the day. Much and much thought goes into their choices throughout the year.
If you love pickles and haven't tried Dill Pickle Dip or Dill Pickle and Bacon Potato Salad yet, you'll want to try both, too!
Do you want some more soups to warm up this winter? I start to look forward to this creamy turkey noodle soup at this time of year every year. Turkey will be absolutely reserved for this recipe.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
My cousin Helene gave me this recipe for pizza soup years ago and my kids are still excited when we make it. And this Green Chile Stew recipe occurs several times each fall and winter. Served with hot tortillas, it's a keepsake in a bowl for those of us who spent a few years in New Mexico.
This recipe from Pho caught my eye a few days ago and I immediately put it on my Pinterest whiteboard "I can't wait to eat this." Along with this chicken and lemon dumplings, I have some delicious new recipes to try this winter.
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, carrots, and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the pickles and continue to simmer.
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream and flour to make a paste. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot stock to the pot, whisking until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cream mixture into the pot and beat or stir until smooth. Add the gherkin juice, Old Bay, salt, pepper, and pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes more, to thicken the soup a little. Get away from the heat.
- Take out the bowls and garnish with additional pickles and / or fresh dill.
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Cook time: 30 minutes.
Total time: 40 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 "pieces (I used 2 giant potatoes to bake).
- 2 cups diced carrots, small dice
- 1 1/2 cups diced dill pickles, small dice (3-4 large dill or more than 20 dill)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free brown rice flour)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups of pickle juice
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt only as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Ingredients: pickled dill pickles fresh dill
In a large saucepan, combine the broth, carrots, and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender. Add the pickles and continue to simmer.
In a large bowl, mix sour cream and flour to form a paste. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot stock to the pot, whisking until smooth and creamy.
Pour the cream mixture into the pot and beat or stir until smooth. Add the gherkin juice, Old Bay, salt, pepper, and pepper.
Cook 5 minutes more, to thicken slightly, and remove from heat. Take out the bowls and garnish with additional pickles and / or fresh dill. Enjoy!
Pickle juice can vary greatly in salinity. Test the broth before adding salt and just add it as needed.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 2179mg | Potassium: 963mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5610IU | Vitamin C: 26.9mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 2.8mg