Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
30 minute taco mac and cheese – Super creamy, ultra cheesy, flavored with taco seasoning, black beans, green onions, tomatoes, and coriander! EASY comfort food with a Mexican touch that is a family FAVORITE !!
Taco mac and cheese recipe
My daughter loves macaroni and cheese. And she loves Mexican food and tacos. This Mexican mac and cheese was the most perfect food marriage for her.
The taco mac and cheese is easy, ready in 30 minutes, super creamy, ultra cheesy, and spiced with taco seasonings, black beans, green onions, tomatoes, and coriander for a taco-inspired touch and Mexican-inspired classic mac and cheese.
I used extra strong cheddar cheese because in this mac and mexican cheese because it has the most flavor for money compared to regular and bonus cheddar, there is no block processed cheese or cheese powder in sight here.
Three of the four cups (about 12 of the 16 ounces) of cheese are mixed with the macaroni and the final cup is sprinkled on top and then I put the pan under the grill for 2 minutes. You can skip the roast if you like and just add the 4 cups of cheese to the macaroni mix, but I love the texture and taste of the roasted or baked cheese.
This is homemade food on a plate despite being vegetarian. It is the perfect recipe to make on the busy nights of the week when you crave something warm and hearty.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
What's in Taco Mac and Cheese?
To make this pan with cheese and macaroni, you will need:
- Pasta snails
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Cashew milk without sugar
- Taco Seasoning
- Extra strong cheddar cheese
- Black beans
- Green onions
- Roma tomatoes
- Fresh coriander
How to make taco mac and cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions, then drain and set aside. Meanwhile, cook the butter and flour together in a large skillet to make a roux.
Slowly beat the milk, followed by the taco seasoning. Add 3/4 of the cheese, then the cooked pasta, black beans, and green onions. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Place the taco mac and cheese under the grill for a few minutes to melt the cheese to your liking. Sprinkle with diced tomatoes, plus green onions, coriander and serve immediately!
Can I freeze macaroni and cheese?
Yes! This quick macaroni and cheese forms a ridiculously large batch. A pound of pasta, a pound of cheese, 4 cups of milk, a can of beans, yes, it's a lot of food, but you can freeze leftovers in individual portions and you can take them out and reheat them at any time. I love planned leftovers.
What goes with macaroni and cheese?
If you plan to serve this macaroni and cheese as your main dish, this is what I recommend combining with it:
And if you are enjoying this Mexican macaroni and cheese as a garnish, here are a few main dishes that would complement it:
Tips for making taco mac and cheese
Keep in mind that you should grate your cheddar cheese instead of buying it grated because bagged cheese is melt resistant and will end in disaster.
I used sugar free cashew milk and it is so irresistibly creamy and thick. You can use normal milk if that's what you prefer, but use 2% or whole and not skim because it is too thin.
I used small shells but you can use medium shells, small elbow, rotini, bowtie or your favorite.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Time to cook 20 minutes
Total time 30 minutes
- 1 pound small pasta shells, cooked according to package directions (you can substitute medium shells, small elbow, rotini, bowtie, etc.)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- little 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsweetened cashew milk (or milk of your choice, but something thicker like 2% or whole is recommended, don't use skim milk)
- 1-ounce taco seasoning packet (I used medium heat, reduced sodium)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pound shredded extra strong cheddar cheese (16 ounces or about 4 cups); divided*
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (no salt added)
- 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced, with 2 tablespoons reserved for garnish
- 1 medium Roma tomato, diced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- Preheat broiler to high temperature.
- In a very large oven safe skillet, add butter and heat over medium-high heat to melt.
- Add the flour and mix constantly until the mixture turns light brown and has bubbled for about 2 minutes. Cook long enough to cook the taste of raw flour, but not so long that it is too browned; you are making a roux.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, making sure to smooth out any possible clumps that have formed.
- Add taco seasoning, pepper, and beat until smooth.
- Add 3 cups of cheese (about 12 ounces) and beat until melted and smooth.
- Add pasta, black beans, green onions and stir to combine and coat evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheese evenly over the top and place the pan under the broiler until the top layer of cheese melts and bubbles, about 1 to 2 minutes. If desired, let cheese brown lightly or to taste. Watch your frying pan and cheese carefully because chickens can burn things in seconds.
- Sprinkle evenly with the tomatoes, reserve 2 tablespoons of green onion, coriander and serve immediately.
- * Grate your own cheese because cheese previously grated in bags does not melt well.
- The recipe is best lukewarm and fresh, but will stay airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 4 months. Reheat very gently before serving the leftovers so that the cheese does not separate.
one Amount per proportion: Calories: 450 Total Fat: 26 g Saturated Fat: 15 g Trans Fat: 0 g Unsaturated Fat: 9 g Cholesterol: 69 mg Sodium: 647 mg Carbohydrates: 36 g Fiber: 6 g Sugar: 4 g Protein: 18 g
More homemade macaroni and cheese recipes:
Easy 30-minute stovetop macaroni and cheese – classic macaroni and cheese that the whole family will love! The creamy and cheesy comfort food you crave !! Much better than anything out of the box and just as easy!
Baked Cheese Balls with Macaroni and Cheese – A Perfect Use for Leftover Macaroni! Pan it, bake it, devour it!
Easy 30-minute stovetop pumpkin and cheese macaroni – the flavor of the pumpkin is subtle compared to the super cheesy and creamy factor! Pumpkin increases the cheesy to a whole new level that everyone loves!
One-Skillet Tex Mex Beef Mac & Cheese – An EASY recipe that's made in ONE pan so you don't have to cook pasta separately! Loaded with ground beef, bell peppers, tomatoes, cheese, and coriander! A family FAVORITE that feeds a crowd!
Macaroni and White Cheddar Cheese 20 Minute Stove – Almost as FAST and EASY as using a box, but it tastes a million times BETTER! So creamy, ridiculously cheesy, and the extra-strong white cheddar cheese gives this mac and cheese a lot of flavor!