Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Comfort food means different things to different people. For me and my family, the most comforting dishes are the Lebanese recipes of my childhood, passed down from generation to generation.
While Lebanese stewed green beans are typically made with beef and served over pilaf rice, we also enjoy eating them as a vegetarian garnish topped with a tablespoon of plain yogurt or laban cucumber.
The star of the dish is the rich tomato sauce seasoned with warm Lebanese spices like cinnamon and allspice. For a Greek twist, you can also try adding fresh dill.
These Lebanese green beans would be delicious with Chicken Tawook, Beef Kafta, or my Hummus with Ground Lamb. Serve with a Syrian Middle Eastern salad garnished with lemon and garlic and dinner is ready.
Your fork is waiting.
What is tomato sauce?
For our international readers, tomato sauce in the United States is basically tomato puree.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Using your own spice mix:
If you want to make your own spice mix, I would suggest making 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and a pinch of ground allspice plus salt.
Lebanese green beans with tomato
A classic Lebanese side dish vegetarian recipe, green beans are simmered in tomatoes and hot spices such as cinnamon and allspice.
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cook time 20 minutes Total time 25 minutes
Servings4 Calories 118kcal
- 1 tablespoon of clarified butter or olive oil (ghee)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 4 cups green beans – cut into 2-inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces of tomato sauce
- 2 servings Lebanese all-purpose spice blend
- Heat clarified butter over medium-high heat and sauté onion until transparent, about 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add green beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Lebanese spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce the flame to low. Simmer until beans are tender, about 20-30 minutes or more if desired.
What is tomato sauce?
Tomato sauce in the United States is basically tomato puree.
If I want to use my own spice mix, what do you suggest?
I would make 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and a pinch of ground allspice plus salt.
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 20.9 g | Protein: 3.8g | Fat: 3.9g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Polyunsaturated fats: 3.3 g | Sodium: 1006mg | Fiber: 4.4g | Sugar: 6.9 g
Do you want more delicious Lebanese recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!