Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This kale salad with apples and chicken It is full of autumn flavors in every bite. It's easy to prepare, mixed with fresh ingredients, and it's the perfect seasonal salad recipe that's crispy, hearty, and sweet.
With the fall around the corner, it's time to change our spinach and arugula salad base to fresh kale. If you haven't gotten on the kale wagon yet, now is the time. Not only is it a nutritional source packed with fiber and antioxidants, it gives it a richer texture and flavor.
Kale salad ingredients
This recipe combines quickly if you have prepared your shredded chicken ahead of time. This is what it contains:
- Kale: You can use any variety (I'm using kale).
- Shredded Chicken: I always have some ready to go in my fridge or freezer. But it's also easy to prepare on the go.
- Apple: I love a sweet Gala or Honeycrisp, but choose your favorite.
- Dried Cherries: For that explosion of natural sweetness (I always recommend buying dry cherries without sugar).
- Raisins: Because more of that sweet, fruity flavor balances kale.
- Red onion: A sweet red onion adds a touch of color and flavor.
- Walnuts For a small crunch and vibration drop.
The salad is drizzled with my apple cider vinaigrette to perfectly match the flavors. It is an easy salad dressing to make at home and tastes much better than anything bought in the store.
Do you need to massage your kale?
You may think kale isn't the best choice because of its toughness, unless it's in the form of baked kale chips. But, the secret to getting those soft sheets is to give it a good massage.
I've talked about this in my Massaged Kale Salad recipe (a delicious side salad with Parmesan and lemon and garlic). But here is a quick summary of how to massage your kale for this recipe.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Remove leaves of the stems (either by hand or by cutting them).
- Tear or cut the sheets in Little pieces.
- Massaging the leaves with your hands until the kale softens and begins to wilt (about 2 minutes).
How to make kale salad with apples and chicken
Now that we've massaged our kale, it's time to throw in fun stuff. Here's what to do next:
- Top the salad with shredded chicken, chopped apples, onions, raisins, dried cherries, and walnuts.
- Beat the apple cider vinaigrette in a small bowl This includes olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the apple cider vinaigrette over the salad, mix everything together and serve. If you want a little more crisp, you could also crumble chunks of apple chips into the salad.
More fall salad recipes you'll love
Kale salad with apples and chicken
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Simply mix the kale with diced apples, shredded chicken, dried cherries, raisins, red onion, and chopped walnuts for a delicious fall or fall inspired salad.
Add the kale to a large mixing bowl.
Top the kale with the shredded chicken, chopped apple, dried cherries, raisins, red onion, and walnuts.
Drizzle the salad with the apple cider vinaigrette, then mix everything together.
- I love these olive wood salad tongs. They just have that perfect fall vibe for a beautiful salad presentation.
- To make this salad Whole30 compliant, swap out the apple cider vinegar for my Dijon vinaigrette (no honey).
Calories: 362kcal, Carbs: 28g, Protein: 19g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 39mg, Sodium: 76mg, Potassium: 697mg, Fiber: 3g, Vitamin A: 8682IU, Vitamin C: 104mg , Calcium: 151mg, Iron: 2mg
Cabbage With Salad Apples Powdered