Have you got the stale bread? Does it seem almost inedible? If so, don't throw it away! In RecipesFree we explain why do you get the hard bread so that it never happens again and, furthermore, we tell you how to take advantage of it.
With the tricks that we will share you will be able to restore its original texture to that hard bread, so that they are also applicable to those breads that have hardened over the hours. Of course, we will also explain how to take advantage of hard bread with delicious and simple recipes. Keep reading!
Why do I have the stale bread
Before explaining how to take advantage of hard bread, let's explain why this happens, so you can prevent it from happening again if you are baking your own bread. Solving this small culinary puzzle is perhaps the key to achieving an ideal bread, since by identifying the error, we better understand the process and this guarantees success in future preparations. Thinking about this, the most common reasons that can explain why hard bread comes out are the following:
- Too much steam in the oven. Too much steam produces a very hard crust and little too soft steam. To avoid excess steam in the oven, place a metal container with water, just before putting the bread. Then remove it for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to very high temperature and without steam. This can stiffen the crust very quickly, preventing the bread from growing. Thus the bread is very compact and dry.
- Excess liquid in the dough and / or a lot of flour. If the bread is too compact, perhaps you added extra liquids, since this causes it not to grow in the oven as it should. To correct this problem, add a little flour to the dough (on the counter, in the form of rain), work it very well, let it sit for 5 minutes and repeat this cycle once more. When you finish this process, the dough will be ready for its first fermentation or long rest. Never add flour in excess or the end result will be a hard bread, very compact or caked.
- Work the dough for a short time. Another reason why the bread is too compact or hard comes from not kneading enough and correctly. To obtain a smooth texture you must develop gluten. To do this, knead properly, for at least 10 minutes.
- Obviate the rest time of the dough (fermentation time). If you eliminate this time, the bread is very compact and poorly developed.
- Exceeding in cooking or temperature. Both of these factors can provide you with dry bread that breaks or crumbles.
Do not miss this other article in which we explain how to make homemade bread and we will tell you all the tricks that you must take into account to get a fluffy and fluffy bread.
Can you recover hard bread?
Surely you have ever bought excess bread that has been accumulating. As the days go by, you have a lot of bread but with a very hard texture, almost inedible. Perhaps the first thing you think about is throwing it away, but don't do it, because that bread has many culinary possibilities. Thus, yes you can get back the stale bread. Likewise, bread that becomes hard when baking, that is, freshly made, can also be recovered.
But, how to recover hard bread? The answer is summarized in two basic ways: soften it for consumption, almost as smooth as the first day, or use it as an ingredient in other recipes. Both forms are very easy to apply and the results are excellent. Read on and find out what to do with hard or caked bread.
To soften it up, check out this article: "How to Soften Hard Bread."
How to use hard bread
Already at this point, we know that hard bread is not thrown under any circumstances, as we can easily recover it to taste it almost as good as the first day. Likewise, old bread is so versatile, it gives you much more. This is where our creativity comes in, giving multiple uses of culinary hard bread to use it in various preparations. Although, it is true that the recipes of use are not new, since they represent classic options to avoid wasting food and save, it is also true that we can always give them a masterful turn and enjoy very creative and tasty dishes.
For this reason, here we collect the classic ways to take advantage of hard bread and its uses in the kitchen, as a prelude to a selection of magnificent recipes:
Make croutons with the stale bread
Diced hard bread turns into: versatile croutons! Perfect companions for soups, creams and other dishes. Making homemade croutons is very simple, it simply consists of cutting, toasting or frying and serving.
He sliced hard bread It can be roasted in the oven, in the pan, in the microwave or in the toaster for multiple uses. You can simply use this toast for breakfast with a little cold meat or go one step further and cook paninis, toasts (which are slices of meatloaf such as loin, cheese, vegetables …) or make canapes. The possibilities are endless and allow you to take advantage of hard bread in a very effective way.
Make your own breadcrumbs
Good news !, you no longer have to buy breadcrumbs in life, just prepare it at home. Ground bread has many applications in the kitchen: it thickens sauces, gives body to certain preparations and is used to coat foods. For all these reasons, we should always have a good portion in the pantry. So, can you think of a better way to take advantage of the old bread?
Also, when preparing your own breadcrumbs, you have the option of season it to your liking and add a touch of coriander, garlic powder, parsley, pepper, oregano or other spices. In this way, you will enjoy a different flavor for each occasion or recipe.
Use it as a substitute for breakfast cereals
He bread dipped in milk It can replace any cereal, all you need to do is add imagination by adding granola, dried fruit or dried or fresh fruit, how delicious! On the other hand, in some salty preparations, the bread is also used in pieces to give consistency to certain recipes, especially soups and sauces.
If you want to know recipes made with hard bread, read on!
Recipes with hard bread
When it comes to harvesting recipes, stale bread has endless options so it will never go to waste in your home. Whether sweet or savory, there is always a recipe that needs this ingredient (in its different versions). For this reason, we have compiled for you a series of recipes with sweet and savory hard bread, easy, very useful and tasty that you will love.
Hard bread French toast
The traditional French toast! Typical of Easter (and good for the whole year), they are a very tasty way to take advantage of hard bread. Also, although French toast is a classic dessert, it has thousands of versions, so you can eat it all year round without getting bored: French toast with honey, sweet wine, pastry cream, white chocolate, milk and orange juice, in syrup, vegan, etc. . Having said that, we leave you here the recipe for Grandma's French toast:
The ingredients are:
- 1 loaf of old bread (minimum of 1 or 2 days)
- 1 liter of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch of cinnamon powder
- 200 g of sugar
- 1 glass of sunflower oil
- 1 piece of lemon peel (also serves orange zest or anise stars)
To make this recipe with hard bread and enjoy its delicious flavor, follow these Steps:
- Heat the milk in a saucepan with cinnamon, sugar and lemon peel. Stir a little and let the sugar dissolve. When the milk is flavored, remove it from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Cut the bread into slices about 2 cm.
- Beat the eggs and reserve them in a container.
- Strain the milk to remove the cinnamon and the lemon peel and leave it in another container.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Soak the pieces of bread first in the milk and then in the egg. Dip the slices in the milk and leave them there until they are completely impregnated, but without breaking.
- Fry the French toast and leave them on absorbent paper as they are made.
- Sprinkle with sugar mixed with cinnamon powder.
Discover all the details in Grandma's French Toast Recipe. And if you want more similar recipes, don't miss these ideas:
- Red wine French toast
- Baked French toast with honey
French toast, a breakfast with delicious stale bread
The famous French toasts are ideal for breakfast, snack or even dessert time, and, how delicious they are with old bread! And although we bring you the traditional recipe, you can also enjoy it in a light version.
Ingredients to make this recipe with hard bread:
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 6 large eggs
- 10-12 slices of hard loaf
- 1 pot butter
Step by Step:
- Put cinnamon, milk, salt and vanilla in a bowl. Unify all the ingredients and reserve.
- Beat the eggs. Once beaten, add them to the previous mixture and mix ..
- Dip the slice of bread in the reserved preparation. Do it lightly and drain it. Bread should be completely soaked, but should not be soaked.
- Fry the bread slices in the pan. Put margarine or butter on the pan to melt it and fry the toast in it. Once a face is browned, turn the piece of bread and repeat the procedure, on the other side. Continue like this, until the mixture is exhausted.
- Serve immediately. If you want to enjoy spectacular French toast and in full splendor, make it as soon as they finish cooking, so they retain their ideal texture. Then sprinkle them with cinnamon and accompany them with one of these options: fresh fruit, ice cream, syrups and, whatever you fancy!
If you want to make lighter French toast, don't miss this recipe: "Light French toast".
What other recipes can you think of for using hard loaf or other slices of old bread? If for now nothing comes to mind, look at these two proposals, you will surely like one:
- Baked sliced bread loaf
- Smoked salmon appetizers
Hard bread tart
The bread-based cakes are irresistible, perhaps they have a consistent but very silky, creamy and somewhat juicy texture. Can you think of a better way to take advantage of old bread?
Ingredients for this recipe with stale bread:
- 8-10 loaves (of any kind)
- 1 jar of evaporated milk
- 1 jar of condensed milk
- 1 and a half cups of sugar
- 1 and a half cups of raisins
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 pinch of cloves (to taste)
- 1 dash of vanilla essence (to taste)
Steps to follow:
- Dip the bread in the evaporated milk and leave it until it falls apart. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Incorporate the rest of the ingredients: sugar, eggs, condensed milk, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves and raisins. Stir well until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a caramel mold. Prepair a candy previously, empty it into the mold, let it cool and reserve it until now. You can do it by following any of the recipes that appear in the article How to make caramel for bread pudding.
- Bake in bain-marie at 180 ° C between 45 minutes and 1 hour or until when you prick the cake with a toothpick very little moisture comes out (almost dry). The oven temperature and time vary depending on each domestic oven (you must find the point for yours).
- Take out the cakeLet it cool for 5-10 minutes and remove from the mold before the caramel dries.
If you were left wanting more hard bread cakes, check out these recipes:
- Old bread cake
- Chocolate pudding
- Peruvian bread pudding
Gazpacho, a recipe with yesterday's bread
In Spanish gastronomy, gazpacho is one of the quintessential summer recipes, since it allows us to refresh ourselves while consuming a drink full of nutrients. It does not require cooking and is made with bread from the previous day, although it also serves very hard bread.
Ingredients to make gazpacho:
- 5 tomatoes
- 100 g of bread from the previous day
- 1 cucumber
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 50 ml olive oil
- 300 ml of water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
Steps to follow:
- Wash and chop all ingredients. You must peel the onion and garlic before, the tomatoes are used with skin.
- Cut bread and put all the ingredients in the blender. You can also use an electric hand mixer.
- Shred everything until a homogeneous mixture is obtained. If you want more liquid, add more water.
- Pass the gazpacho through a strainer to make it even finer.
Check the recipe step by step: "Extremaduran Gazpacho". Other recipes with hard gazpacho bread are as follows:
- Strawberry gazpacho
- Gazpacho without cucumber
Capirotada, a sweet with typical Mexican hard bread
If French toast is typical in Spain during Lent and Easter, in Mexico we find the capirotada, a recipe that also has multiple versions. In addition, this is one of the most delicious recipes for hard bread without an oven. Next, we teach you how to prepare the traditional white capirotada.
Ingredients to capirotate:
- 1 cup of water
- 800 ml of evaporated milk
- 400 g of condensed milk
- 250 g brown sugar
- 2 cloves
- 2 black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- half a teaspoon of baking soda
- 100 ml of oil
- 70 g of butter
- 1 bolillo from previous days (small bread or half a bar)
The Steps you must follow are these:
- Heat the water with the evaporated milk and, when it is warm, add the condensed milk, the cloves, the piloncillo, the pepper, the bicarbonate and the cinnamon, all this without stopping mixing. Cook until the piloncillo melts and set aside.
- Cut the bobbin (bread) sliced and fry them in a pan with the hot butter and oil.
- It serves the slices of bread with the previous sauce, raisins and grated coconut.
All the details of the recipe here: "Capirotada blanca de lechera".
Recipes with hard bread without oven
And if you are specifically looking for recipes with stale bread but without an oven, here is a selection of the best:
- Bread pudding without oven
- Onion soup with bread
- Cordovan salmorejo
- Andalusian breadcrumbs
- Microwave bread pudding
If you liked the article How to take advantage of hard bread – Recipes and tricks, we suggest you enter our Cheats and techniques category.