Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
A simple method of roasting asparagus in the oven. Garlic adds an aromatic flavor, while the highest oven temperature cooks asparagus faster, which means you can enjoy your vegetables sooner rather than later. Asparagus is so good for you, you definitely need to shave with Parmesan or any of your favorite cheeses!
How are asparagus trimmed?
Cutting the asparagus is only an instant! Take one piece and gently fold in half with your hands. The point where the stem breaks is where you should trim the asparagus. This is typically 1-2 inches from the bottom.
As an added precaution, if the asparagus is super thick and stringy (the thicker the asparagus is, the tastier it is), use a vegetable peeler or knife to peel some strips off the outer surface. Asparagus will cook more evenly and have a more delicate texture.
You can also use a knife to cut the asparagus. Break a stem by hand as described above and use it as a guide to trim the rest in approximately the same way.
How are asparagus roasted?
First, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Next, mix the chopped asparagus and ground garlic cloves with the olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Spread the lances evenly on the baking sheet.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Grill for 10-12 minutes, or until stems begin to wilt and lightly brown. You may need to rotate the spears halfway through the cooking time, to roast the asparagus evenly.
Although broiling at higher temperatures is great for veggies, you can adjust the cooking temperature to a little more or less, especially if you're already using the oven. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
But don't turn the oven on too high. Remember rule 451, that parchment paper can catch fire at just over 450 degrees.
How are asparagus stored?
Trim the raw asparagus as indicated, and place the asparagus in a tall glass or jar with an inch or two of water, making sure all ends touch the water. Cover with a plastic bag and put it in the fridge. You want to treat asparagus just as you would with fresh cut flowers.
How long are asparagus in the fridge good?
If stored properly in the refrigerator, fresh asparagus should last 5-7 days. Cooked asparagus will also last 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
How do you know when the asparagus gets bad?
The asparagus tips are the first to disappear, since this is the most tender part of the vegetable. If the tips start to change to a very dark green color and crumble easily between your fingers, it's time to pull.
A simple method of roasting asparagus in the oven. Garlic adds an aromatic flavor, while the highest oven temperature cooks asparagus faster, which means you can enjoy your vegetables sooner rather than later. Asparagus is so good for you, a shave of Parmesan cheese or any of your favorite cheeses is definitely required! Cuisine: American Preparation time: 5 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 15 minutes Servings: 4 servings Calories: 170kcal
- 2 pounds of stringy ends of trimmed asparagus (see notes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese to serve, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy cleaning.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and stir to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roast until asparagus is browned in parts, but still bright green and tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overcook.
- To remove the hard, fibrous, inedible portion of each lance, you can cut it with a knife or fold it until it fits. The asparagus will break precisely where the tender part ends and the hard part begins.
- If the skin appears thick and hard, use a vegetable peeler or paring knife to peel the stem within about 2 inches of the tip.
- To add cheese, Shave 1-2 ounces of Parmesan, Roman Sheep, Asiago, or Dry Jack cheese with a vegetable peeler and sprinkle over the roasted asparagus.
Calories :: 170kcal