Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
How to make coconut rice ~ coconut rice is rich and creamy with a subtle tropical flavor that is much more than a garnish for chicken or fish. Instantly improves stir fry, rice bowls and curries. Children love it, and it's good for them!
This creamy tropical rice has a subtle flavor and a dreamy texture. It's wonderful with Asian and Southeast Asian foods, as well as Hawaiian and Polynesian recipes. It is definitely something you want to have in your recipe file, in fact why not memorize it? Because after you have tried it, you will want to use it all the time. (I always have a couple of cans of coconut milk and a bag of jasmine rice in my closet.)
What is coconut rice?
- Coconut rice is rice, either brown or white, that is cooked in a combination of coconut milk and water.
What does coconut rice taste like?
- You will be surprised to know that coconut rice has a very subtle flavor and that it does not taste like dessert!
- A pinch of salt and a touch of sugar brings out the flavor of the coconut, but it is still a bottom note.
- Coconut rice will not dominate or compete with whatever serves you.
- Coconut rice has a very attractive moist creamy texture that is as important as the taste.
What are the ingredients in coconut rice?
- You can use your favorite white or brown rice, but I use jasmine rice. Jasmine rice is a long grain rice with a natural floral fragrance that I love. Jasmine rice can be used like any white rice, but it is especially delightful in Thai, Chinese, and Vietnamese dishes. Basmati rice is also perfect for making coconut rice.
- Unsweetened coconut milk. I like to use full fat coconut milk for the best flavor, but if you are cutting calories you can use the lite version. Coconut milk is a staple food in my kitchen because it works in both sweet and savory dishes; I can use it in everything from Coconut rice pudding to Thai Lime and Coconut Soup. Shake the can first before using.
How to make coconut rice
Making coconut rice is easy, you will cook it like normal rice except that part of the cooking water will be replaced with coconut milk. As the rice cooks, it absorbs the rich coconut milk.
- Measure the rice and put it in a pot.
- Drink the amount of water your package or recipe requires and replace at least half with coconut milk. You can use more or less according to your taste. Be sure to shake your can of coconut milk to mix the coconut fat and water.
- Add a pinch of salt and a touch of sugar to bring out the flavor of the coconut.
- Cook as usual.
Is coconut rice healthy?
- Yes! Many people are surprised to learn that coconut milk is quite healthy and can increase the nutritional value of already healthy rice.
- The saturated fat in coconut milk doesn't seem to raise bad cholesterol levels and can help raise the good kind.
- Coconut milk has been shown to help lose weight and regulate insulin levels.
Garnishes for coconut rice
- sliced or chopped jalapeño peppers
- chopped cilantro
- roasted coconut
- lemon slices
- sliced green onions
How to make coconut rice
Coconut rice is rich and creamy with a subtle tropical flavor that instantly enhances stir fries, rice bowls, and curries. Also serve as an accompaniment to chicken or fish.
- 1 1/2 cups of raw jasmine rice
- 15 ounce can of unsweetened coconut milk with all its fat, you can use the lite version
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt more to taste
Place all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir well. Heat until simmering over medium-high heat, stirring often to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Once the rice boils, stir it for the last time, lower the heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Fluff and serve.
What to serve with coconut rice