Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Cauliflower rice It is a wonderful, low-carb, grain-free, paleo-friendly rice alternative. It is also a sneaky way to include more vegetables in your diet. Watch the recipe video below and see how easy it is to prepare at home.
What pairs well with cauliflower rice? My shredded chicken, slow roasted chicken and slow shredded pork are delicious. With a few extra spices or a flavorful sauce, you can easily turn it into a tasty meal!
Cauliflower rice (affectionately called "cauli rice") is a healthy, low-carb, grain-free, less starchy replacement for rice. Now, I'm not necessarily a low carb girl like white rice and other organic grains, but it's always nice to have a few extra veggies in your meals and turn things around.
Cauliflower, while sometimes not as popular as its cruciferous cousin, broccoli, offers a variety of health benefits. It's high in antioxidants and vitamin C (provides 73% of your daily vitamin C needs in one cup!). It is also a well-known cancer fighter, thanks to its well-studied anti-inflammatory properties.
But this is what I love. Cauliflower rice has a delicious flavor and is ideal for preparing weekly meals. Make a batch and add it to your meals to give you a vegetable boost throughout the week.
How to make cauliflower rice
You can prepare, cook, and enjoy homemade cauliflower rice in less than 30 minutes. Just follow these steps:
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Remove the cauliflower flowers cauliflower head
- Grate cauliflower flowers using the grater attachment on your food processor or box grater
- Sauté 1/2 onion with a little olive oil in a frying pan to add flavor to the cauliflower rice.
- Add the grated cauliflower to the pan and sauté for 5-7 minutes
- Spice with salt and pepper and serve or add some of the tasty flavor enhancements mentioned below
Tips for making cauliflower rice
You can use the chopper attachment on your food processor (the one you probably use most often) instead of the grater attachment, but I think cauliflower grains are much more consistent with the grater accessory.
The chopper attachment tends to crush the foils at the bottom and not cut the foils higher. If you don't have a food processor, just cut the cauliflower head in half (or quarters) and use a box grater.
How to make cauliflower rice in a Vitamix
Did you know that you can also do this in your Vitamix? Just follow the instructions below.
- Cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces and place them in Vitamix (no more than 2/3 of their capacity).
- Fill with water until cauliflower rises above the blade.
- Press until desired consistency is reached, approximately 6-8 times.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve and pat the cauliflower dry.
Can you freeze cauliflower rice?
Yes! Absolutely. Once you've seasoned the cauliflower, divide the raw cauliflower rice into Stasher bags or my favorite Glasslock storage containers. Will hold up well for up to 6 months. Then when you're ready to eat it, simply toss the frozen cauliflower rice into a skillet to sauté according to the instructions below and cook for a few more minutes.
Rice and cauliflower recipe video (step by step)
This recipe is a staple in my house and is easy to make. But it always helps to watch a quick step-by-step video tutorial. Give him a watch below!
6 tasty rice cauliflower recipes
- Fried Rice with Cauliflower: Your Asian restaurant's favorite fried rice, made healthy.
- Cauliflower rice tabbouleh: A delicious vegetarian twist on traditional tabbouleh that swaps bulgar with cauliflower rice. It's healthier and gluten-free!
- Asian cauliflower rice with ginger shrimp: This is a bowl full of tasty goodness with creamy avocado, spicy shrimp, and cauliflower-stuffed rice.
- Garlic Parsley Cauliflower Rice: Follow the recipe below, then sauté 3-4 minced garlic cloves after sautéing the onions. Cook the cauliflower rice for 5-7 minutes and add the freshly chopped parsley before serving.
- Lime Cauliflower Rice: Follow the recipe below, then sauté 1-2 cloves of minced garlic after sautéing the onions. Cook the cauliflower rice for 5-7 minutes and add a handful of finely chopped fresh coriander. Complete with a little 1-2 limes on the rice.
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice: Follow recipe below, then sauté 2 cloves minced garlic after sautéing onions. Cook the cauliflower rice for 5 minutes, then add 2 tomatoes (finely diced), 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded and finely chopped), 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 lime juice, and fresh coriander finely chopped. Stir everything for a couple of minutes and then serve.
And cauliflower rice is also used as a base in my cauliflower pizza dough recipe!
How to make cauliflower rice – Easy recipe!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Cauliflower rice is an excellent grain-free rice alternative. It provides a healthy and vegetarian base for so many food options and it tastes delicious! Make sure that watch the recipe video above to see how I do it.
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut the cauliflower head in half and use a knife to remove all the florets. Cut some of the larger florets into smaller pieces to fit in the duct of your food processor.
Insert the grater adapter into your food processor and start feeding the cauliflower flowers through the top. Depending on the size of your food processor, you may have to empty it in half.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the chopped onion for a few minutes, until it is transparent.
Add cauliflower rice to skillet and sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Calories: 119.7kcal, Carbs: 12.2g, Protein: 4.2g, Fat: 7.4g, Saturated fat: 1.2g, Sodium: 63.9mg, Fiber: 4.5g, Sugar: 4.8g