Do you have stale bread? Does it seem almost inedible? If so, don't throw it out! In RecipesFree, we explain why do you get the hard bread so that it does not happen again and, moreover, we explain how to take advantage of it.
With the tips that we will share, you can restore the original texture of this hard bread, so that it can also be applied to breads that have hardened over the hours. Of course, we will also explain how to enjoy hard bread with delicious and simple recipes. Read on!
Why do i have stale bread
Before we explain how to take advantage of hard bread, let's explain why it happens, so you can prevent it from happening again if you make your own bread. Solving this little culinary puzzle may be the key to getting an ideal bread, because by identifying the error, we understand the process better and this guarantees success in future preparations. When you think about it, the most common reasons that can explain why hard bread comes out are:
- Too much steam in the oven. Too much steam produces a very hard crust and little too soft steam. To avoid excess steam in the oven, place a metal container with water just before putting the bread. Then remove it for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to very high temperature and without steam. This can stiffen the crust very quickly, preventing the bread from growing. Thus, the bread is very compact and dry.
- Excess liquid in the dough and / or a lot of flour. If the bread is too compact, you may have added additional liquids, as this does not make it grow in the oven as it should. To correct this problem, add a little flour to the dough (on the counter, in the form of rain), work it very well, let it sit for 5 minutes and repeat this cycle once more. When you have finished this process, the dough will be ready for its first fermentation or its long rest. Never add excess flour or the end result will be hard, very compact or hard bread.
- Work the dough for a short time. Another reason why the bread is too compact or too hard comes from not kneading enough and correctly. To get a smooth texture, you need to develop gluten. To do this, knead properly for at least 10 minutes.
- Avoid dough rest time (fermentation time). If you eliminate this time, the bread is very compact and poorly developed.
- Exceeding in cooking or in temperature. These two factors can provide dry bread that breaks or crumbles.
Do not miss this other article in which we explain how to make homemade bread and we will tell you all the tips you need to take into account to get a soft and fluffy bread.
Can you get hard bread?
Surely you've already bought a surplus of bread that has accumulated. Over the days, you have a lot of bread but with a very hard texture, almost inedible. Maybe the first thing you think about is throwing it away, but don't do it, because this bread has many culinary possibilities. In this way, yes you can get stale bread. Likewise, bread that becomes hard during baking, i.e. freshly prepared, can also be recovered.
But how do you get hard bread? The answer is summed up in two ways: soften it for consumption, almost as smooth as the first day, or use it as an ingredient in other recipes. Both forms are very easy to apply and the results are excellent. Read on and find out what to do with hard or baked bread.
To soften it, see this article: "How to soften hard bread."
How to use hard bread
Already at this stage, we know that hard bread is not thrown away in any case, because we can easily retrieve it to taste it almost as good as the first day. Likewise, old bread is so versatile that it gives you a lot more. This is where our creativity comes in, giving multiple uses of culinary hard bread for use in various preparations. While it is true that the user recipes are not new, as they represent classic options to avoid wasting food and saving money, it is also true that we can always give them a masterful tour and taste dishes very creative and tasty.
For this reason, we are gathering here the classic means of enjoying hard bread and its uses in cooking, as a prelude to a selection of magnificent recipes:
Make croutons with stale bread
Hard diced bread turns into: versatile croutons! Perfect companions for soups, creams and other dishes. Making homemade croutons is very simple, it just involves cutting, grilling or frying and serving.
The sliced hard bread It can be roasted in the oven, pan, microwave or toaster for multiple uses. You can just use this toast for breakfast with a little cold meat or go further and cook paninis, toast (which are slices of meatloaf like loin, cheese, vegetables …) or make sofas. The possibilities are endless and allow you to enjoy hard bread very effectively.
Make your own breadcrumbs
Good news !, you no longer have to buy breadcrumbs in life, you just have to prepare it at home. Ground bread has many applications in cooking: it thickens sauces, gives body to certain preparations and is used to coat food. For all these reasons, we should always have a good portion in the pantry. So can you think of a better way to enjoy old bread?
In addition, when you prepare your own breadcrumbs, you have the option of season as desired and add a touch of cilantro, garlic powder, parsley, pepper, oregano or other spices. In this way, you will enjoy a different flavor for each occasion or recipe.
Use it as a substitute for breakfast cereals
The bread soaked in milk It can replace any cereal, all you need to do is add imagination by adding granola, dried fruit or dried or fresh fruit, it's delicious! On the other hand, in certain savory preparations, bread is also used in pieces to give consistency to certain recipes, in particular soups and sauces.
If you want to know hard bread recipes, read on!
Recipes with hard bread
When it comes to harvesting recipes, stale bread has endless options so it never goes to waste in your home. Whether sweet or savory, there is always a recipe that needs this ingredient (in its different versions). For this reason, we have compiled for you a series of recipes with sweet and savory hard bread, easy, very useful and tasty that you will love.
The traditional French toast! Typical of Easter (and good for the whole year), they are a very tasty way to enjoy hard bread. In addition, although French toast is a classic dessert, it has thousands of versions, so you can eat it all year round without being bored: French toast with honey, sweet wine, pastry cream, white chocolate, milk and juice orange, syrup, vegan, etc. . That said, we leave you here the recipe for grandma's French toast:
The ingredients they are:
- 1 loaf of old bread (minimum 1 or 2 days)
- 1 liter of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch of cinnamon powder
- 200 g sugar
- 1 glass of sunflower oil
- 1 piece of lemon zest (also serves as orange peel or anise stars)
To make this recipe with hard bread and enjoy its delicious flavor, follow these steps:
- Heat the milk in a saucepan with cinnamon, sugar and lemon zest. Stir a little and let the sugar dissolve. When the milk is flavored, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the bread into slices about 2 cm.
- Beat the eggs and reserve them in a container.
- Filter the milk remove the cinnamon and lemon zest and leave it in another container.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Soak the pieces of bread first in milk and then in the egg. Dip the slices in the milk and leave them there until they are completely soaked, but do not break them.
- Frying french toast and leave them on absorbent paper as they are made.
- Sprinkle with sugar mixed with cinnamon powder.
Find out all the details in Grandma's French toast recipe. And if you want more similar recipes, don't miss these ideas:
- Red wine toast
- French toast with honey
French toast, breakfast with delicious stale bread
The famous French toasts are ideal for breakfast, afternoon tea or even dessert, and how delicious they are with old bread! And although we bring you the traditional recipe, you can also taste it in a reduced version.
Ingredients to make this recipe with hard bread:
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 10-12 slices of hard bread
- 1 jar of butter
Step by step:
- Put the cinnamon, milk, salt and vanilla in a bowl. Unify all the ingredients and set aside.
- Beat the eggs. Once beaten, add them to the previous mixture and mix ..
- Dip the slice of bread in the reserved preparation. Do it lightly and drain it. Bread should be completely soaked, but should not be soaked.
- Fry the slices of bread in the pan. Put margarine or butter in the pan to melt and toast the toast. Once the face is golden, turn the piece of bread over and repeat the procedure on the other side. Continue until the mixture is used up.
- Serve immediately. If you want to taste spectacular French toast and in full splendor, do it as soon as they have finished cooking, so that they retain their ideal texture. Then sprinkle them with cinnamon and accompany them with one of these options: fresh fruit, ice cream, syrups and, as you wish!
If you want to make lighter French toast, don't miss this recipe: “Light French Toast”.
What other recipes can you think of for using hard bread or other slices of old bread? If for the moment nothing comes to your mind, look at these two proposals, you will surely like one:
- Loaf of baked bread
- Smoked salmon appetizers
Hard bread pie
Bread cakes are irresistible, they may have a consistent texture but very silky, creamy and somewhat juicy. Can you think of a better way to enjoy old bread?
Ingredients for this recipe with stale bread:
- 8-10 breads (of any kind)
- 1 jar of evaporated milk
- 1 jar of condensed milk
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1.5 cups raisins
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 pinch of cloves (to taste)
- 1 pinch of vanilla extract (to taste)
Steps to contiue:
- Dip bread in evaporated milk and leave it until it crumbles. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: sugar, eggs, condensed milk, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves and raisins. Mix well until all the ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a caramel mold. Prepair a candy beforehand, empty it into the mold, let it cool and reserve it until now. You can do this by following one of the recipes that appear in the How to Make Caramel for Bread Pudding article.
- Cook in a bain-marie at 180 ° C between 45 minutes and 1 hour or until you prick the cake with a toothpick, very little moisture comes out (almost dry). The temperature and duration of the oven vary according to each domestic oven (you must find the point that suits you).
- Take out the cakeLeave to cool for 5 to 10 minutes and remove from the mold before the caramel dries.
If you wanted more hard cakes, check out these recipes:
- Old bread cake
- Chocolate pudding
- Peruvian bread pudding
Gazpacho, a recipe with yesterday's bread
In Spanish gastronomy, gazpacho is one of the quintessential summer recipes, because it allows us to refresh ourselves while consuming a drink full of nutrients. It does not require baking and is made with bread from the day before, but it also serves very hard bread.
Ingredients make gazpacho:
- 5 tomatoes
- 100 g of bread from the day before
- 1 cucumber
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 50 ml olive oil
- 300 ml of water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
Steps to contiue:
- Wash and chop all ingredients. You have to peel the onion and garlic before, the tomatoes are used with the skin.
- Cut bread and put all the ingredients in the blender. You can also use an electric hand mixer.
- Destroy everything until a homogeneous mixture is obtained. If you want more liquid, add more water.
- Pass the gazpacho through a colander to make it even finer.
Check the recipe step by step: "Gaspacho from Extremadura". Other recipes with gazpacho hard bread are:
- Strawberry gazpacho
- Gazpacho without cucumber
Capirotada, a sweet with typical Mexican hard bread
If the torrijas are typical in Spain during Lent and Easter, in Mexico we find the capirotada, a recipe that also has several versions. In addition, it is one of the most delicious recipes for oven-free hard bread. Then we teach you how to prepare the traditional white capirotada.
- 1 cup of water
- 800 ml evaporated milk
- 400 g condensed milk
- 250 g brown sugar
- 2 cloves
- 2 grains of black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- half a teaspoon of baking soda
- 100 ml of oil
- 70 g butter
- 1 bolillo from previous days (roll or half bar)
The steps you should follow are:
- Heat the water with the evaporated milk and, when hot, add the condensed milk, the cloves, the piloncillo, the pepper, the bicarbonate and the cinnamon, all without stopping to mix. Cook until the piloncillo melts and set aside.
- Cut the can (bread) sliced and fry in a pan with hot butter and oil.
- To serve slices of bread with the previous sauce, raisins and grated coconut.
All the details of the recipe here: “Capirotada blanca de lechera”.
Recipes with hard bread without oven
And if you are specifically looking for recipes with stale bread but no oven, here is a selection of the best:
- Bread pudding without oven
- Onion soup with bread
- Cordovan salmorejo
- Andalusian breadcrumbs
- Microwave bread pudding
If you liked the article How to Enjoy Hard Bread – Recipes and Tips, we suggest that you enter our Cheats and Techniques category.