Want to know how to make perfect brown rice every time? This foolproof method gives you perfect rice that is never sticky.
How to cook perfectly brown rice
Brown rice is extremely nutritious with higher fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals compared to white rice. There are countless dishes you can make with brown rice, some of my favorites are Edamame Fried Rice, Mexican style brown rice with fresh vegetables, pineapple and shrimp fried rice, or along with any choice of protein.
I can make white rice in my sleep, rice was a solid in my growing up home, and a task my mother taught me at an early age. So naturally, you would think it would be easy for me to make brown rice. Nix!
I never liked to make brown rice because it was always hit or miss until I found this easy method of cooking brown rice on Saveur. Now I can make perfect brown rice every time, and because I make large portions, it's great to keep on hand to spend all week creating light sides or new dishes.
I have played a lot with the original recipe and found the perfect relationship between rice and water. If you make 2 or 3 cups of rice, double or triple the recipe.
How to make perfect brown rice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Rinse brown rice and add to boiling water.
- Cook rice, partially covered 30 minutes.
- Empty the rice, close the oven, and put the rice back in the pan.
- Cover the pan tightly so that the steam continues to cook it for 20 minutes, and then fluff with a fork.
How to freeze brown rice
You can use frozen rice straight from the freezer to the microwave or stove – no need to thaw in the fridge first.
- Step 1: Cook rice. Cook the rice using the method below.
- Step 2: Let it cool. When the rice is cooked, spread in an even layer over a sheet pan and refrigerate for about 10 minutes until it is room temperature.
- Step 3: Part. Measure the rice and separate with portions, then transfer to freezer-safe containers or zipper bags that squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Step 4: Label and freeze. Label the name, date and amount of rice in each bag.
- Step 5: Freeze. You can freeze rice for up to 3 months.
- Step 6: Reheat. To reheat, you can microwave frozen from covered for 3 minutes or add to the oven if you make stirs, soups, etc.
Recipes using cooked brown rice
How to cook perfectly brown rice
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Total time: 52 min
How to make perfect brown rice every time? This foolproof method makes perfect brown rice that is never sticky.
- 1 cup of natural brown rice, I used long grain
- 8 cups of cold water
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Rinse the rice with cold water for 30 seconds.
Bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat in a large heavy saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
When the water is boiling, add the rice, stir and cover partially (cover not completely, because it will not spill) and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
Turn off the heat. Drain the rice in a sieve, then quickly return to the pan and cover tightly for 20 minutes so that the steam is done boiling the rice.
Cover rice and fluff with a fork.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups. Different rice varieties can yield different quantities. Adapted from Saveur
Serving: 3/4 cup, Calories: 128kcal, Carbohydrates: 9g, Protein: 3g, Saturated Fat: 0.1g, Sodium: 700mg, Fiber: 1g
Blue Smart Points: 4
Green smart points: 4
Purple Smart Points: 0
Points +: 4
Keywords: brown rice recipes how to cook brown rice, how to make perfect brown rice, how to make perfect brown rice, perfect brown rice
Don't miss a recipe!
Get new free recipes and exclusive content delivered directly to your inbox: