Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This homemade mint hot chocolate recipe is made with 6 ingredients in 6 minutes in the Vitamix blender! It has two types of chocolate, making it ultra rich and creamy and flavored with candy canes instead of expensive extracts. Watch the video to learn how to make homemade hot chocolate with candy cane!
Today we are going to make a festive gift that will keep you warm this holiday season: homemade hot chocolate with candy cane! Goodbye to Kiss powder mixes and packs, with this ultra rich and creamy caramel cane hot chocolate that is SO easy to make in the Vitamix Blender!
This is not your average mint hot chocolate, because we use the Vitamix to mix real candy canes into the cocoa base, which is made with two forms of chocolate! You don't need expensive extracts, just a few of your favorite candy canes (plus a handful of other ingredients), which we all have in abundance this time of year.
It only takes 6 minutes and 6 ingredients to mix this hot chocolate with hot candy cane, which means it's the perfect gift to make after a day playing outside in the snow. Serve with a tablespoon of homemade whipped cream for the true happiness of hot cocoa!
Mint hot chocolate: ingredients and substitutions
As always, let's start by discussing the ingredients in this mint hot chocolate recipe, as well as possible substitutions.
- Whole milk. Any milk, dairy or non-dairy, should work just fine in this candy cane hot chocolate recipe. Just remember, the higher the percentage of fat in your milk, the creamier your final product will be. My highest recommendations are whole or 2% milk, and coconut milk for a dairy-free / vegan version.
- Cocoa powder Use pure unsweetened cocoa powder (NOT a hot chocolate mix) to make this mint hot chocolate!
- Granulated sugar. Any granulated sugar works well in this recipe. I use organic cane sugar in most of my baked goods and desserts. For a refined sugar-free variety, substitute coconut sugar for granulated sugar.
- Chocolate. I recommend using semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate in this mint hot chocolate recipe. You can use milk chocolate or white chocolate, just keep in mind that the end result will be a little sweeter! For a dairy-free / vegan version, use dairy-free chocolate! You can also use bakery chocolate (100% cocoa) and just increase the amount of sugar to suit your tastes!
- Vanilla extract. Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Candy canes. Choose your favorite candy canes to use in this mint hot chocolate. I use healthy organic candy canes and Yum Earth organic candy canes because both varieties are colorless and corn syrup free! If you prefer, you can use ½ teaspoon of mint extract instead of the candy canes. Or add it along with the candy canes for a more pronounced mint flavor. However, I think using whole candy canes is one thing that makes this mint hot chocolate so special.
How to make mint hot chocolate
This homemade candy cane hot chocolate is so easy to make and MUCH better than any store-bought powder mix! Let's see how to do it step by step!
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Use a Vitamix blender
To achieve the creamiest mint hot chocolate ever, as always, I recommend using a Vitamix blender! In this recipe, Vitamix does all the work for you! Melt the chocolate, pulverize the candy canes, and heat the gourmet hot chocolate so you can serve it directly from the mixing bowl (stove-top cooking is not required). It's SO easy to make hot chocolate at Vitamix!
If you are looking to buy a Vitamix, check out my detailed Vitamix buying guide and find out why I chose to mix with Vitamix 10 years ago and never looked back!
Add milk, cocoa powder and sugar and mix
Start by adding milk to the container of your Vitamix blender, followed by cocoa powder and sugar.
Secure the lid and mix, starting at low speed and increasing at high. Blend on high speed for 3 minutes or until the mixture is warm.
Add chocolate, vanilla, and candy canes and mix again
Next, add the chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate), the pure vanilla extract, and the candy canes to the warm mixture in the mixing bowl.
Secure the lid and mix, starting at low speed and increasing at high. Blend on high speed for 3 minutes or until the mixture is hot and steaming.
Remove the lid, pour the peppermint hot chocolate into your favorite mugs, top with marshmallows or whipped cream and some crushed candy canes and enjoy!
Note: since Vitamix is so powerful, you will have a little foam in your final product! Just shake the foam in the hot chocolate to make it disappear, or enjoy it as part of the candy cane hot chocolate experience!
What are the good ingredients for hot chocolate?
This mint hot chocolate tastes amazing on its own. But if you're looking to spice it up with some fun ingredients, here are a few suggestions:
- Homemade Whipped Cream (obviously)
- Marshmallows (any variety, mint marshmallows would be delicious).
- Crushed candy canes
- Chopped mint bark
- Shaved chocolate
- Holiday spray
Do well this holiday season
At these parties, Vitamix's slogan is "Make Good". I love this concept, especially during the holidays, when we all sing about peace on Earth and goodwill for humanity. I have a hard time trying to teach my children to be selfless at a time when there is so much focus on selfishness (think: toy catalogs, Christmas lists, etc.).
My challenge for you is to "do well" with this mint hot chocolate. Make two batches, one for yourself and one for a neighbor. Give it in a nice thermos to a friend who needs a little Christmas cheer.
Or better yet, make some and share them with your family. Get into your Christmas jams and enjoy a warm cup of hot chocolate with a candy cane by the fire while listening to Christmas music or watching a Christmas movie and making good memories that they will treasure for the rest of their lives!
Mint Hot Chocolate (Caramel Cane Hot Chocolate)
This homemade mint hot chocolate recipe is made with 6 ingredients in 6 minutes in the Vitamix blender! It has two chocolate children, making it ultra rich and creamy and flavored with candy canes instead of expensive extracts. Watch the video to learn how to make homemade hot chocolate with candy cane! Preparation time: 6 minutes Total time: 6 minutes Servings: 6 Servings: Calories: 261.2kcal
- Vitamix blender
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- 2 oz. (20 oz.) Whole milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 oz sweet or semi-sweet chocolate (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 3 candy canes 45 g, about ½ cup *
- Optional ingredients: whipped cream marshmallows, crushed candy cane pieces
Usual US USA
- Add milk, sugar and cocoa powder to the container of a Vitamix blender.
- Mix, starting at low speed and increasing at high. Blend on high speed for 3 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and warm.
- Add pieces of chocolate, vanilla, and candy cane and mix for 3 minutes until the mixture is smooth and hot.
- Pour into cups, top with whipped cream, marshmallows, and pieces of crushed candy cane, and serve!
* I like a subtle candy cane flavor. If you like a more pronounced mint flavor, add more candy canes or ½ teaspoon of mint extract.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories :: 261.2kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.3g | Protein: 5.1g | Fat: 12.1 g | Saturated Fat: 7.3g | Polyunsaturated fats: 0.3g | Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g | Cholesterol: 14.6mg | Sodium: 53.6mg | Potassium: 131.9mg | Fiber: 2.3g | Sugar: 34.5g | Calcium: 1.7mg | Iron: 6.3mg
product through a link you clicked here, I get a portion of the sale. Thanks for supporting JoyFoodSunshine! 261
You may also like:
Best Apple Crumble Pie Recipe Homemade Pretzel Dogs Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Hot Chocolate Conmenta Video