Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Homemade whipped cream is easy to make with just 3 ingredients in 5 minutes, and it's so delicious you'll get rid of store-bought things once you try them. Watch the video and follow our photos step by step to learn how to make the best homemade whipped cream recipe!
Homemade whipped cream is one of the simplest and most elaborate recipes in my repertoire! It takes just 5 minutes and 3 ingredients to make this whipped cream recipe, and I promise that once you try it, you'll never go back to store-bought canned varieties again!
I use this whipped cream recipe to serve with many of my favorite desserts, including Flourless chocolate cake, Pumpkin cakeand hot chocolate with mint. Also tastes great on french toast, pancakes, waffles, or simply served on fresh berries!
In this post, I will talk about how to make homemade whipped cream with step by step photos and answer some frequently asked questions about the recipe. Don't forget to watch the video to see exactly how it's made too!
Homemade whipped cream recipe: ingredients
People often ask, "What is whipped cream made of?" Well, if you buy it in the store, the answer is usually complicated and includes a long list of ingredients that are difficult to pronounce. However, in this homemade whipped cream recipe there is only Three, Easy to pronounce, ingredients: thick cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. We will talk about each of the ingredients in this whipped cream recipe, as well as possible substitutions.
- Thick whipped cream (COLD) – To get the best whipped cream that maintains its shape and is easily beaten, it is important to use thick cream or thick cream. It is also critical that the cream be cold. This means that if you've just come back from grocery shopping on a hot day with your whipped cream, you need to make sure to put it in the fridge so it's completely cold before using it to make the whipped cream.
- Powdered sugar – This recipe is for sugary whipped cream. Adding powdered sugar means it can be eaten directly from the blender and has the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Pure vanilla extract – The use of pure vanilla extract (without imitation flavoring) is the key to a rich and delicious final product. If you want to make whipped cream with different flavors, simply substitute your favorite vanilla extracts. Some suggestions are almonds, mint, lemon, orange, etc.
Heavy whipped cream? Thick cream? Regular whipped cream?
I have to admit that the "cream" aisle at the grocery store can be confusing. So I'm going to try to help clear up a few things about buying cream to make this whipped cream recipe.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Thick cream and thick whipped cream They are basically the same product, they both contain at least 36% milk fat. The higher fat content makes these two the best choice to make this homemade whipped cream recipe because they whip easily and keep their shape well.
- Whipped creamor light whipped cream, has a lower fat content (for example, lighter) and contains 30% to 35% milk fat. You can still use regular whipped cream to make this recipe very successful. The end product will simply be a little more "padded" and will likely return to a liquid state if stored in the refrigerator for an extended period. It seems to me that it works best when served immediately as a condiment on top of cakes (such as apple pie, blueberry pie, and strawberry pie), potato chips (such as crispy berries or crisp apples), or in hot drinks like hot chocolate with mint or peanut butter.
Equipment you will need to make homemade whipped cream
- Stand mixer equipped with a wire whisk accessory and a cold large mixing bowl OR, cold mixing bowl (glass or metal preferred) and hand blender
- Recipe ingredients (listed above)
- Pastry bag and tip for pipes (I always use the Wilton Tip 1M with a large coupler) Or serve a plate and a spoon
How is homemade whipped cream made?
This whipped cream recipe takes a few minutes to prepare, but there are a few steps and notes that are absolutely critical to the result!
About 15-30 minutes before you're ready to make this whipped cream recipe, place your mixing bowl (and the wire whisk attachment or the beaters as well) in the refrigerator to chill. Whipped cream tends to beat better and stay stable longer when it's cold.
Add all the ingredients
The goal is to minimize the amount of time it takes to make this homemade whipped cream (so it stays cold). So, in this whipped cream recipe, we add all three ingredients to the cold bowl and then whisk together the mixture.
Be sure to start mixing on low speed to incorporate the powdered sugar into the whipped cream. Then gradually increase the speed until the mixture begins to form smooth peaks. You may need to pause, scrape down the sides, and continue whipping.
Whisk until stiff
Whip the whipped cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Be very careful and DO NOT GO from the mixer Whipped cream can go from fluffy clouds of sweet cream to a curdling mess in seconds.
What happens if my whipped cream curdles?
If you mix the whipped cream too much, it will curdle (become lumpy). Simply mix 1 tablespoon of fresh, unwrapped cream at a time with a wire whisk or blender on low speed until lumps are gone. Then you can beat the cream again if necessary. Fun fact: the solid portion of whipped cream is butter!
Now comes the fun part, it's time to enjoy this whipped cream recipe however you like! You can use it in place of a cold smoothie or whipped cream in a recipe that requires one of those ingredients. You can also use this recipe as a whipped cream in recipes like French Silk Pie, Cream Puffs, etc.
Or you can serve it as a condiment for your favorite dessert! Put it on a nice serving plate with a spoon and let people take it as their favorite dessert! Here are some suggestions:
- Put a tablespoon of this homemade whipped cream on top of a slice of this Homemade pumpkin pie!
- Cake: Serve with this Chocolate cake without flour or these molten chocolate lava cakes.
- Fruit tarts: I have so many delicious fruit cake recipes on my site that would pair perfectly with this fresh whipped cream. Strawberry tart, Cranberry cake, Apple pie, apple crumble cakeetc.
- Breakfast. Top off your favorite breakfast with a tablespoon of whipped cream! These healthy pancakes, our favorite and best waffle recipe, spinach pancakes, chocolate pancakes, the best french toast always. etc.
- Fruit Potatoes. You won't regret making a batch of this easy whipped cream to serve along with this crispy berries, crispy peach and raspberry or this crispy apple!
Frequently asked questions about homemade whipped cream
Now I'm going to try to answer some of the most frequently asked questions on how to make whipped cream!
How much whipped cream does 1 cup of whipped cream make?
Whipped cream doubles its volume when whipped. So 1 cup of whipped cream will make two cups of whipped cream. 2 cups of whipped cream (1 pint) will make 4 cups of whipped cream, etc.
How long does homemade whipped cream last?
If you use heavy cream, this homemade whipped cream lasts for two days in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container. It lasts longer if placed in a dessert (such as French silk cake).
Can you make half and half whipped cream?
NOT! Half and half is only 18% milk fat, and it doesn't have enough fat content to hold or beat well. If you're trying to use half and half, try making these cinnamon buns or these chocolate buns!
Can you beat the cream with a blender?
Yes, you can if you have the right blender and the right container. I have a recipe for strawberry whipped cream made at Vitamix Aer Container that is delicious! However, I don't recommend trying to do this in a blender without using 1) a Vitamix and 2) specifically the Vitamix Aer container.
Can I make whipped cream without a mixer?
Yes, I suppose you do this, but I don't recommend it. You can beat the cream by hand with a wire whisk. It would take a long time!
Homemade Whipped Cream
Homemade whipped cream is easy to make with just 3 ingredients in 5 minutes, and it's so delicious you'll get rid of store-bought things once you try them. Watch the video and follow our photos step by step to learn how to make the best homemade whipped cream recipe! Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooling bowl 15 minutes Total time: 5 minutes Servings: 4 cups of whipped cream Calories: 118.4kcal
- measuring cups
- measuring cups
- KitchenAid mixer
- Wilton Tip 1M
- large coupler
- pastry bag
- 1 pint 2 cups thick whipped cream (COLD)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Place the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl (preferably glass or metal) in the refrigerator to chill for at least 15-30 minutes (or more).
- Add whipped cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to the refrigerated container of a stand mixer (or refrigerated container).
- Use the wire whisk attachment for a stand mixer or a hand mixer, and beat the ingredients together, starting at low speed and slowly increasing to high as it begins to firm up.
- Beat for 60-90 seconds until stiff peaks form. Stop once in half to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag to place it in your favorite dessert or in hot chocolate. Or put on a serving plate.
* Notes: Nutritional information is for 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of whipped cream, measured after it has been whipped. This recipe makes 16 quarter-cup servings.
Ingredients and Substitution Notes
- Thick whipped cream (COLD) – To get the best whipped cream that keeps its shape and smooths easily, it is important to use cold thick cream or thick whipped cream. Regular whipped cream works too! DO NOT use half and half or milk.
- Powdered sugar – This whipped cream recipe calls for 1/2 cup of powdered sugar per 2 cups of whipped cream. You can decrease the amount if it is too sweet for you, or increase it by 1-2 TBS.
- Pure vanilla extract. If you want to make whipped cream with different flavors, simply substitute your favorite vanilla extracts. Some suggestions are almonds, mint, lemon, orange, etc.
Serving: 4TBS | Calories :: 118.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 4.6g | Protein: 0.6g | Fat: 11.1 g | Saturated Fat: 6.9g | Polyunsaturated fats: 0.4g | Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g | Cholesterol: 40.9mg | Sodium: 11.4mg | Potassium: 22.9mg | Sugar: 4.6g | Vitamin A: 8.8IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 1.9mg | Iron: 0.1mg
product through a link you clicked here, I get a portion of the sale. Thanks for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!
You may also like:
Best Chicken Quesadilla Recipe Immune Boosting Tea Chocolate Peanut Butter Easy Fondue (Dairy Free)