Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Do you want something salty? I also.
Fortunately, you can bake your own homemade tortilla chips in just 10 minutes! These are so good that you may never buy them from the store again.
How to make tortilla chips
The first step in making crispy homemade tortilla chips is to use extra-thin tortillas.
My favorites are the Mission brand extra thin corn tortillas. I have seen them at Target, Walmart and Ralph’s.
How to make tortilla chips in the oven
I suggest baking the tortilla chips for about 6 minutes, then flip them over. Bake an additional 6 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden and fragrant.
Under bake, and they will come out chewy. Over bake them, and they will start to burn.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
If after 10 minutes they still look chewy, put them on for a minute or so. Just watch them closely. If they look seared, they'll probably still taste great, so don't worry too much.
How to fry tortilla chips
Baked tortilla chips are healthier, but fried tortilla chips taste better.
If you decide you want to take a walk on the wild side, take out your deep fryer, dutch oven, or rimmed pan.
You can fry your fries in as little as 1 cup of oil (about 1/4 inch high) or up to a couple of quarts if you want to do it all at once in your Dutch oven.
Just be sure to bring the oil to 350 degrees and try not to fill the pot. Fry the fries for just a couple of minutes, until they start to brown, and then drain on paper towels.
I'm obsessed with Chipotle chips (the restaurant), so I make tortilla chips with a little lemon and a pinch of salt. If you love as much as I do, go rude. Nothing makes me happier than seeing giant salt granules in my tortillas.
Here is a complete list of recipes for Chipotle Sauce (and its guacamole):
- Tomato and chipotle sauce (soft)
- Chipotle Corn Sauce (medium)
- Chipotle and tomatillo sauce (medium)
- Chipotle hot sauce
- Guacamole Chipotle
You can also use your homemade tortilla chips in other ways:
- Top with lemon juice and paprika and dip it in Hummus.
- Top with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese and dip in Marinara sauce or spinach sauce.
- Enjoy some of the most popular recipes on my blog, Cowboy Caviar and Black Bean Salsa!
Bake your own homemade tortilla chips in 10 minutes! Extra-thin tortillas ensure crispy sandwiches every time, perfect for salsa and guacamole. Cuisine: Mexican Cooking time: 15 minutes Total time: 15 minutes Servings: 12 servings Calories: 130kcal
- 24 extra-thin corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Oil (only for frying, see notes)
To bake the tortilla chips:
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil for easy cleaning. Brush tortillas on one side with olive oil and place in stacks of 6. Cut each stack into 6 pieces.
- Spread the tortilla pieces in a single layer on the baking sheets and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 6 minutes, then use tongs to flip the fries.
- Sprinkle with salt again. Bake an additional 6 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and serve.
To fry the tortillas:
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees. Drop a few handfuls of potato chips at a time and fry until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer them to paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining tabs.
- If you fry potato chips, you will need 1 cup to 1 quart of oil (depending on the size of your pot and how many potatoes you want to fry at one time). Use a tasteless oil with a high smoke point, such as canola, corn, or grapeseed oil.
Calories :: 130kcal