Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Enjoy this salad dressing in a juicy, healthy strawberry and spinach salad, paired with homemade roast chicken for the best lunch ever. Then use additional seeds to make lemon muffins and poppy seeds.
Grab some strawberries, some spinach, and mix them with the easiest salad dressing! Thanks to the poppy seed dressing, life is suddenly sweeter. It is dated, versatile and better than any bottle in the store.
Made as is, this poppy seed dressing recipe is naturally vegan, unless you sweeten it with honey. And if you're looking for low-sugar salad dressings, here are some really reader-tested alternatives.
Ingredients of the poppy seed salad dressing:
- Red wine vinegar. Alternatively, use balsamic, champagne vinegar, or white balsamic if you have it.
- Petroleum. Light olive oil, vegetable oil, or grape seed oil are good options. Find a neutral oil that you don't mind having in your pantry.
- Poppy seeds.
- Dry mustard
How to make poppy seed dressing:
Once you gather your six pantry ingredients, then it's a simple flick of the whisk or a smoothie from the jar.
- Mix the vegetable oil, red wine vinegar, dried mustard, poppy seeds, sugar and salt. Some cooks prefer to emulsify the vinegar and oil in a bullet or blender for a creamier end result. It's up to you.
- If you're making a salad right away, keep the dressing at room temperature so that the flavors mix while you make the salad. (However, you can do it up to 4 days in advance).
Help! I don't have mustard powder!
Ground mustard powder balances the sweetness a bit and adds another layer of flavor to the dressing. If you don't have it, that's fine! Use an equal amount of dijon mustard instead of powdered mustard.
Healthy poppy seed dressing:
This dressing definitely contains sugar. But if you watch your sugar intake, you can still enjoy a low-sugar version of the poppy seed dressing by experimenting with a natural sweetener, such as:
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Maple syrup
- Pineapple juice
- Monk fruit
- Swerve, a natural sugar substitute that Keto enthusiasts love.
How long does the poppy seed dressing last?
According to the investigation, about 4 days. However, the ingredients are all pantry-stable ingredients in storage that alone would last for months. Use your best judgment and of course eat more salad!
Are poppy seeds good for you?
Poppy seeds have incredible benefits! Not only are they deliciously crisp and loaded with fiber, poppy seeds are rich in calcium, zinc, magnesium, and phosphorous, which builds strong bones and provides heart, digestive, and immune support. They are also a good source of B vitamins.
Are poppy seeds bad for you?
Meals in amounts normally found in muffins, cakes, and sprinkled on a bagel, poppy seeds are safe to eat. Some people have allergies to poppy seeds, but this is not common.
All recipes from Central Europe and the Balkans use generous amounts of poppy seed paste in their delicious cakes, made from sugar and ground seeds. The pasta is nutty, sweet and irresistible, just like this salad dressing.
Because the exterior of the seeds may contain traces of morphine, when eaten in large quantities, poppy seeds can cause a person to get a false positive on a drug test. Mind you, it wouldn't register as high as someone who actually had opiates in their system.
To counter this, most poppy seeds are thoroughly rinsed before being packaged and sold commercially. Using poppy seeds in a salad, cake, and cupcake dressing or scattered on the bun is a delicious way to safely enjoy them.
Type of American cuisine Preparation time: 1 minute Cook time: 1 minute Total time: 2 minutes Servings: 1 cup Calories: 152 kcal
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl with a whisk, or in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, add the vegetable oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, poppy seeds, and salt to taste (I like 1 tsp) .
- Stir or shake to combine. Allow the flavors to mix at room temperature as you prepare the salad.
Calories :: 152kcal