Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Spaghetti sauce to win applause uses homemade Italian seasoning, an easy spice mix that knows how to make tomato sauces explode. You can also use this meat sauce to display lasagna, with plenty of leftovers. Then pour the rest with roasted spaghetti squash or eggplant parmesan. More easy Italian recipes here.
This spaghetti sauce made from scratch is worth getting excited about. First of all, beat anything in the jar. You can walk down the pasta sauce aisle, knowing that your homemade meat sauce is so much better. even
Make the best lasagna of all time. Pour over manicotti and bake in the oven. Make a double batch and freeze it for last minute pasta dinners. If it's low carb, nothing beats a hearty tomato sauce over raw zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash. The future will thank you.
Homemade meat sauce ingredients:
This is what you should buy at the store to get the best spaghetti sauce.
- Ground beef. You can use turkey, venison, chicken, or ground pork. Change it if you want.
- Italian sausage. If you can't eat pork, double the meat. There are no hard and fast rules here.
- Garlic. More or less, that depends on you.
- Crushed tomatoes. You can also make the sauce with the same amount of fresh tomatoes, just let things simmer plus.
- Sugar. As written, the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons. Some cooks prefer 1 tablespoon, while others like it sweeter. Maybe start with one, then simmer and stir, try and see if you want more. This sauce can take up to 1/4 cup, or if you believe some commenters, 1/2 cup!
- Dried basil. Of course, if you have fresh, use it.
- Italian seasoning. Make your own Italian seasoning here and never overpay again in the spice aisle.
- Fennel seeds. This ingredient really makes a difference, boosting the flavors of Italian sausage. If the seeds are not your thing, crush them in a spice grinder. You'll love it.
- Salt and pepper. Forever!
How to make homemade meat sauce from scratch:
- First, grab your largest, heaviest pot. A Dutch oven works very well.
- Next, sauté the meat, sausage, and chopped onion until golden brown. At this point, you can drain any excess fat, if you see fit.
- After that, add the fresh garlic. Then pour the crushed tomatoes (juices and everything), tomato sauce, sugar (only if desired), basil, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, bay leaf and a little salt and pepper. Give the sauce a few good revolutions.
- So all that's left is to let the meat sauce boil uncovered for about half an hour. If it still seems too watered down, cook a little more.
How to make homemade Italian spaghetti sauce in the clay pot:
- On the stove, this meaty marinara cooks in about 45 minutes. But if you are willing to wait, you can cook this recipe in the slow cooker.
- To start, brown the meat and onions on the stove, then add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or so.
- Then transfer the mixture to the pot and add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook 2 to 3 hours on HIGH, or 4 to 5 hours on LOW.
Homemade spaghetti sauce, meatless:
Not just for meat eaters, this recipe can be made without meat. Use extra olive oil and a vegetarian meat replacement: impossible meat, tempeh, tofu, or even lots of fresh mushrooms. Then proceed with the recipe as written.
Other variations for this easy meat sauce:
It's official, you never have to make another easy meat sauce with jar sauce. Once you have this basic recipe, it is.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Also, you can customize the sauce exactly to your liking. Who knows, maybe you will become famous, like Giada?
- Green peppers. Cook them with the onions so they have time to soften.
- Mushrooms. If you are a mushroom person, this should make you very happy. Add them when cooking the onions.
- Fire roasted tomatoes. A reader's fabulous suggestion to use fire-roasted canned tomatoes for a little extra smokiness. Try it!
- Chili flakes. For a spicy tomato sauce with meat.
- Homemade meat sauce with fresh tomatoes. Swap some fresh for the crushed tomatoes in the recipe, but keep the sauce. Add a small can of tomato paste if you want your sauce to be even thicker.
The BEST homemade meat sauce has beef and Italian sausages. It's perfect on lasagna or spaghetti, and comes with easy pantry ingredients. Cuisine: American Preparation time: 5 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 35 minutes Servings: 16 servings Calories: 334kcal
- 2 pounds ground beef and / or Italian ground sausage (I like to use one pound each)
- 1 medium chopped onion (about 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of sugar or to taste (see notes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the beef, sausage, and onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Drain if desired. Add garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and bay leaf. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper (I like 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper). Yield: 2 quarts of sauce.
Add sugar to taste. For some, that means skipping it entirely. For others, you can increase sugar up to 1/4 cup.
Calories :: 334kcal