Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
If you need an amazing idea or dessert for breakfast, this homemade coffee cake recipe will be perfect. Loaded with lots and lots of butter, this cake delivers. Perfect for you to enjoy with a coffee or just to eat.
Homemade coffee cake
I make tons and tons of desserts at home. Sweets are very popular around here. Unfortunately I will admit that my husband is a HUGE coffee cake fan with his morning coffee. This wife is pretty pathetic because I can never meet Mike's coffee cake needs. I usually buy store-bought coffee cake for him because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make a coffee cake like the bakery.
Last week, I put on my big girl pants and made the most delicious homemade coffee cake. I am talking about this amazing world. I will never buy store bought again.
I made a great 9X13 skillet that lasted just a couple of days. A part of me thinks it was a good thing that he perfected this super buttery coffee cake. The other part of me knows that the husband and I will enjoy more coffee cake than we probably should, ha ha.
The coffee cake is perfect for breakfast, perfect for a snack and just as perfect with my evening coffee. I am not sure of a time when coffee cake is not pleasant.
I honestly can't believe it took me that long to make a homemade coffee cake. With just a few pantry ingredients and tons and tons of butter, this cake can be made at home. I'm sure the Kroger bakery and Entenmann's will miss my $$ ‘s, hahaha.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
INGREDIENTSCake: 2 1/2 cups flour 1 cup sugar 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup butter, softened (cut into 1 tablespoon pieces) 3 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla 2/3 cup buttermilk (or 2/3 cup milk + 1 teaspoon white vinegar)Filling: 1 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 tablespoon cinnamon Topping: 1 cup cold butter (cut into 1 tablespoon pieces) 2 1/4 cup flour 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon 1 3/4 cup brown sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla 1/4 cup powdered sugar
ADDRESSES Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9 × 13 ″ baking sheet or spray with nonstick spray. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Gradually add the butter while mixing. The mixture will crumble. Add eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk while whisking until mixture is combined (scrape bowl periodically). Set the dough aside. Mix the filling ingredients. Pour half of the dough into the prepared skillet and spread level. Sprinkle the filling over the dough. Pour the remaining dough on top. Use a butter knife to stir the dough. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla. Cut butter in a bowl with a pastry cutter or forks until crumbly. Sprinkle the coverage evenly over the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cake settles. Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Are you a fan of coffee cake? Do you do it at home or do you buy it at your bakery?
Homemade coffee cake
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup softened butter cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or 2/3 cup milk + 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup cold butter cut into 1 tablespoon
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 9 × 13 ”baking sheet or spray with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Gradually add the butter while mixing. The mixture will crumble.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk while whisking until mixture is combined (scrape bowl periodically).
- Set the dough aside.
- Mix the filling ingredients.
- Pour half of the dough into the prepared skillet and spread level.
- Sprinkle the filling over the dough.
- Pour the remaining dough on top.
- Use a butter knife to stir the dough.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Cut butter in a bowl with a pastry cutter or forks until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the coverage evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cake settles.
- Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Are you looking for other desserts to enjoy with your coffee? Take a look at these other great recipes I've shared…