Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Something amazing happened …
I was able to recreate my favorite Luna Bar!
My three favorite Luna bars are the chocolate dipped coconut, the chocolate mint bar, and the white chocolate macadamia, in that order. I don't even like white chocolate, so I don't know why I love that white chocolate Macadamia, but I do.
I wanted to try my luck to make them at home, but the list of ingredients suggested to me because it is quite long. I started searching online to see if anyone had tried making a homemade version and found out that Katie from Chocolate Covered Katie had done them before. Using her recipe as inspiration, I went to work in the kitchen and made a version of Chocolate Dipped Coconut.
I could tell by the taste of the "dough" that they were going to be good, but once they were covered in chocolate and chilled they were even better. I haven't done a side-by-side taste test to see if the taste is exactly the same as the actual Luna Bar, but that doesn't really matter to me.
Isaac said it's the best bar I've ever done, which is a bold statement, but I think he's probably right. The texture is perfect and the mix of chocolate and coconut flavors is perfect. I made them into mini bars because I wanted them to have around 100 calories each. Also, everything is cuter in mini form. Straight?
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal (I used Erewhon’s Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup dried coconut flakes without sugar
- 2 tablespoons of protein powder (I used Sunwarrior)
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips, melted
- Place cereal and oatmeal in a small food processor (affiliate link) / chopper and pulse until cereal is well chopped. Don't process it too much or you'll end up with flour. *
- Place the cereal and oat mixture in a large bowl and add the coconut, protein powder, and cocoa powder.
- Add the brown rice syrup, honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir the mixture and heat until everything melts and combines, about 2 minutes.
- Pour over dry ingredients and stir very well, making sure to cover everything.
- Line a pan with parchment paper and spread the mixture evenly across the pan. Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of the mixture, then press as firmly as possible. Really press down.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Spread the chocolate on the bars and freeze for at least an hour before cutting.
- Store the bars in a sealed container in the freezer, refrigerator, or at room temperature. I like them directly from the freezer!
And the mini bar only has 100 calories!
Since these were a hit, I think a homemade version of the Chocolate Peppermint Stick will be next on my list! Do you like Luna bars? If so, what is your favorite flavor?