Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This gluten-free lemon chicken is one of my personal favorites. It's a must try if you love chicken batter in sweet lemon sauce.
The chicken will cook to be succulent on the inside and will have a delicious crispy dough on the outside. The sauce has strong citrus flavors that complement the chicken very well.
There are many different versions of lemon chicken. This recipe is based on the Australian Chinese version, which has a light dough and a delicious lemon sauce.
What to serve with lemon chicken
I love having this dish alone, but you can have it with a wide variety of different sides. Here are some suggestions you can have with the battered lemon chicken.
An example of a great side is a little plain steamed rice or even creamy coconut rice. Both options can be done on the stove or in a rice cooker.
Some sauteed vegetables, like bok choy, sliced bell peppers, sliced green onions, and ears will go great with this dish.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
There are many more side dishes that are great along with the lemon chicken. For example, you might also have some dim sims, prawn crackers, meatballs, steamed vegetables, and more.
Be sure to let us know if you have any suggestions on what to serve with this delicious dish, as we'd love to hear from you.
Leftovers and Dessert
The leftovers from this dish are great the next day for lunch or dinner. The dough may soak up a bit when you are going to heat the dish, especially if you do it in the microwave.
A delicious baked rice pudding is excellent as a dessert after this delicious meal. I recommend it as it is very easy to prepare and cook quickly.
You can find the complete recipe for this delicious gluten-free lemon chicken below.
Gluten-free lemon chicken recipe
Preparation time1 hour and 30 minutes
Time to cook20 minutes
Total time1 hour and 50 minutes
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) chicken drumstick, cut into pieces
- Oil for frying
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch, eggs, Shaoxing wine, salt, and water.
- Add chicken and mix well.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- In a saucepan, add chicken stock, Shaoxing wine, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off or lower heat while frying chicken
Coating and Frying
- In a bowl, combine the normal gluten-free flour and cornstarch.
- Add chicken and mix well.
- In a deep fryer or hot wok, add enough oil for frying.
- Heat the oil to 200 ° C (350 ° F).
- Fry the chicken in two separate batches. It will take approximately 5 minutes for each batch.
- Once cooked, set aside.
- Reheat the sauce and add the lemon wedges.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Chicken drumstick can be substituted with chicken breast.
- You can check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer. It should be at 75 ° C (165 ° F) in the center of the thickest part of the chicken.
- Shaoxing wine can also be replaced with something like dry sherry.
- If you're not concerned about gluten, you can easily substitute gluten-free ingredients for alternatives.
- To avoid ending up with an oily dough on the chicken, make sure the oil is at the correct temperature. Also, use a paper towel to remove excess oil from the chicken once it is cooked.
All the nutritional information you need to know about this delicious gluten-free battered lemon chicken can be found below.
Don't forget to add the extra sides you can have with the chicken. For example, rice, noodles, or something else.
As I mention in all my recipes, the nutritional information is just an estimate. It may be different from your own calculations.
More chicken recipes
Citrus pairs very well with chicken, and there are plenty of other dishes you can make. I recommend trying the chicken piccata, as it does not contain gluten. It is even paleo friendly.
The orange chicken recipe is very similar to this dish but features strong orange rather than lemon flavors. I recommend trying it if you like citrus sauces and battered chicken.
If you're in the mood for slow-cooked food, then you should check out the orange chicken recipe in the slow cooker. It's not battered, but the flavors make up for it.
I love this gluten-free lemon chicken and I cook it quite a bit. I hope you end up sharing the same love for this dish. If you have comments, suggestions or anything else, feel free to leave a comment below.