Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This German potato salad recipe It's made with hot red potatoes, crispy bacon, and spicy mustard onion dressing. It is a perfect accompaniment for summer!
Potato salad is always my side dish for the summer barbecue. If you stop by our house on any summer weekend, I will almost certainly have a large bowl of potato salad waiting to be served. We love them all: creamy and hot or cold with a spicy dressing. Potato salads are an excellent accompaniment and the combinations are limitless.
This German potato salad is spicy, hearty and very tasty thanks to the mustard dressing and crispy bacon. It goes very well with grilled chicken, hamburgers or sausages. If you're looking to change things up from the classic creamy American potato salad, try the recipe below. It will surely be a success!
HOW TO MAKE GERMAN POTATO SALAD?
Start the salad by washing red potatoes and cutting them into quarters. Place in a saucepan, cover with water, add a generous amount of salt and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes OR until potatoes are done. Check with a fork. They should not crumble, but the fork must be able to get through a part easily. Cut large chunks into smaller cubes. Then cook the minced bacon in a pan. I recommend a cast iron skillet. Once crispy, remove the bacon in a bowl. If your bacon is very fatty, feel free to drain some of the fat. If not, add chopped onion (and garlic, if used) to grease. Stir frequently and cook until transparent. In a small cup, mix apple cider vinegar, water, mustard, and sugar. Add to the cooked onion. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove from heat. In a bowl with bacon, mix the potatoes with the dressing. Garnish with chopped parsley or dill and serve while still hot. You can prepare the potatoes ahead of time and cook the dressing before serving.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
IS THE WARM OR COLD GERMAN POTATO SALAD DELIVERED?
Traditionally, the German potato salad is served hot. It is recommended to prepare the mustard dressing in the pan, pour over the potatoes and the bacon and serve. You can always refrigerate it and serve it later, but cold bacon isn't as tasty as it is crispy!
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD TO THE GERMAN POTATO SALAD?
Beer! You can add your favorite German beer to the apple cider vinegar and mustard mix and reduce in the pan. Don't forget to serve a tall glass and ice cream along with the ready plate!
Pickles! Yes, feel free to add chopped pickles to the salad. They will go well since the dressing is spicy and vinegar.
Dill! This herb is made to go with potatoes. Skip the parsley and add a tablespoon of chopped fresh dill with potatoes and dressing. So tasty!
MORE POTATO SALAD RECIPES:
Pickled Dill Potato Salad
Green bean and potato salad
If you like this recipe and do it, take a photo and share it INSTAGRAM! Tag me @RecetasLatinas So i can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
GERMAN POTATO SALAD RECIPE:
German potato salad recipe
Time to cook
This German potato salad recipe is made with hot red potatoes, crisp bacon, and onion and spicy mustard dressing. It is a perfect accompaniment for summer!
Keyword: potato salad, summer garnish
Servings: 6 people
Calories: 346 kcal
- 3 lb red potatoes
- 1/2 lb minced bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic optional
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Place in a pot and cover with water. Add a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes OR until potatoes are done. They should not crumble, but the fork should easily pierce through each piece. Drain it and put it in a large container.
- In a large skillet, cook the minced bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and add to the potatoes in a bowl. If your bacon is very fatty, drain half of the fat from the pan. For the remaining bacon fat in the pan, add the garlic and onion and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- In a measuring cup, mix together the vinegar, water, sugar, and mustard. Add to onion in skillet and simmer, stirring frequently, until slightly reduced and thick.
- Pour the hot mustard dressing over the potatoes and bacon and stir gently to coat.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve, still hot.
You can use red, yellow, or young potatoes in this recipe. Traditionally, the recipe calls for red potatoes.
To easily chop the bacon, place it in the freezer for 5 minutes. It should be very easy to cut.
To prepare ahead of time: cook the potatoes and store them in a bowl in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature as you prepare the dressing. Serve warm.
Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉 German Salad Potato Recipe