Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
You can never go wrong with potato chips, whether it's potato chips, roasted sweet potatoes, or these flavored potato chips.
Every time I see cheese fries on a restaurant menu, I have to order them. Crispy fries paired with melted cream cheese just can't be beat! My homemade fries are even better than the ones you get at a restaurant, and they are easy to make.
How are cheese fries made?
This recipe starts with frozen fries, which you'll bake until golden and crisp. Then, add a generous amount of grated cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese on top. Put the pan back in the oven and cook until the cheese melts. Sprinkle bacon, green onion, and parsley on top of the fries, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for Perfect French Fries
- You can use any cut of potato chips you want: curly potato chips, crinkled potatoes, potato chips, or potato wedges – everything works fine. I usually use traditional thin cut potato chips as they are ultra crispy baked.
- I recommend grating your own cheese for this recipe: Pre-grated cheese bags are often coated with anti-caking agents and don't melt too.
- Serve your fries with one side of the ranch for dipping, or you can even sprinkle a little sauce on top.
- Cheese fries are best when served immediately after they come out of the oven.
- I like to transfer my baked potato chips to a skillet before adding cheese and bacon for a more restaurant-style presentation, but that's an optional step.
- While this dish is often made with grated melted cheese, you can also use a homemade or store-bought cheese sauce if you prefer. You can even make a Mexican version with cheese!
Fried cheese variations
This recipe is delicious as-is, but you can add other ingredients to the mix to customize your fries to your liking.
- Cheese: Instead of cheddar and mozzarella cheese, you can use other types of cheese such as pepper jack, Swiss, colby jack, American, or classic Monterey jack. You can also finish your fries with a pinch of freshly grated Parmesan cheese or Roman sheep cheese.
- Ingredients: Feel free to add other ingredients to your fries, such as jalapeños, olives, pico de gallo, shredded chicken, cooked sausages, tomatoes, green chiles, diced avocado, coriander, or toasted corn.
- Sauce: Try a drizzle of chipotle mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, sriracha, or Mexican cream for a different flavor.
Homemade cheese sauce
For a different flavor and texture, try making your own cheese sauce to use in place of the grated cheese. Place 6 ounces of grated cheddar cheese in a bowl with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Mix to coat cheese with cornstarch. Place the cheese mixture with 3/4 cup evaporated milk in a skillet over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth and thick. Drizzle cheese sauce over cooked potato chips, then top with bacon and herbs.
These french fries are perfect for game day, parties, or just for those times when you want a hearty snack with minimal effort!
Follow us on PINTEREST!
More fabulous party snacks
Cheese Fries Video
Fries with cheese
These cheese fries are crispy potato chips topped with two types of melted cheese, smoked bacon, and fresh herbs. A hearty snack option that takes just a few minutes to put together and is always a big hit!
- 32 ounces frozen fries
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup cooked, minced bacon
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing
Cook the french fries in the oven in a pan according to the package directions.
Remove the frying pan from the oven. Turn on the oven to 400 degrees F.
You can finish the fries in a skillet or transfer them to a skillet for a restaurant-style presentation.
Sprinkle the cheeses over the fries.
Return the fries to the oven. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Sprinkle the bacon, green onions, and parsley over the fries.
Serve immediately with ranch dressing on the side, or alternatively you can drizzle the ranch over the fries.
Calories: 408kcal | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 867mg | Potassium: 447 mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 401 IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 236 mg | Iron: 2mg