Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
I love serving a green salad along with my meals, such as arugula salad, apple kale salad, and this classic tomato and cucumber salad.
Every time I go to my local Middle Eastern restaurant, I always have to order the fattoush salad. It is a light and refreshing mix of lettuce and vegetables with pita chips instead of croutons. Lemon sumac dressing really takes this salad on top and makes it something special.
What is fattoush?
Fattoush is a salad that is popular throughout the Middle East and originated from the country of Lebanon. Contains a variety of vegetables such as lettuce, tomato, cucumber, radish, and onion, as well as fresh herbs and toasted flatbread. It is thrown into a dressing based on olive oil.
How is the fattoush salad made?
This salad starts with romaine lettuce, which is mixed with cucumbers, tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, radish, mint leaves, and parsley. A simple dressing passes over and the salad ingredients are mixed. The final step is to remove the pita chips for an additional crunch. Serve immediately and enjoy!
What is the fattoush dressing made of?
The dressing for this salad is a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, sumac, garlic and salt. Sumac is a spice used in Middle Eastern cuisine, and is the ground and dried berries of the sumac bush. You can find sumac in the spice aisle of most large grocery stores, and it can also be purchased at local ethnic markets.
Tips for the perfect salad.
- Try using a mandolin to finely chop my radishes, red onion, and cucumbers.
- I prefer to use small Persian-style cucumbers for this recipe, but you can use quarter and sliced English cucumbers if you like.
- I like to leave the parsley and mint leaves whole because they really add a lot of fresh flavor to the salad, but you can also chop them up and add them to the dressing.
- When I make this salad, I use store-bought prepared pita chips for convenience. To make your own homeade pita chips, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and coat a pan with cooking spray. Cut 4 rounds of pita into 8 wedges each, then place the wedges in a single layer in the pan. Brush the pita slices with 1/3 cup olive oil and sprinkle with the desired seasonings. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden and crisp.
I love serving this salad as is for a light and refreshing accompaniment, but sometimes I add other ingredients to make it more of a main course offering.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Protein: You can add protein like grilled chicken, shrimp, or steak.
- Beans: I love adding canned chickpeas or white beans to increase flavor and nutrition.
- Cheese: Crumbled feta cheese is the perfect addition to this salad.
- Vegetables: You can add other vegetables to the mix, such as bell peppers, mushrooms, artichokes, or olives.
Once you try fattoush, you will find it in your permanent rotation. Large, bold flavors are the perfect counterpart to a variety of dishes.
More salad recipes you will enjoy
- Green Bean Salad
- Caprese salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Brocoli salad
Fattoush Salad Video
This fattoush salad is a mix of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs, and pita chips, all mixed with a lemon dressing. A light and refreshing salad that is the perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken, fish or meat.
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cook time: 1 minute Total time: 21 minutes
Servings: 6 Calories: 244kcal
For the salad
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups thinly sliced Persian cucumbers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cups of pita chips
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of sumac
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- Place the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, red onion, parsley leaves, and mint leaves in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir to coat. Add the pita chips and stir once more. Serve immediately.
Calories :: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 16 g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 390mg | Potassium: 378 mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 4181IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg