Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Falafel flatbread It is a vegan and gluten-free bread made from a mixture of herbs, vegetables and chickpeas. It is a unique version of a traditional flatbread that is brimming with fresh and salty Mediterranean flavors. Just cut it to pieces and discover how versatile it is in the video below!
Lately, I've been getting requests for a gluten-free bread recipe. Whether it's for making sandwiches or just toasting in the morning. But this question got me thinking about my socca recipe, which is a naturally gluten-free flatbread made from chickpea flour.
With chickpeas in mind, I began to wonder if there was a way to combine my falafel recipe with my socca recipe for the best herbal green flatbread. Well after trying a few batches I am happy to say it was a success!
And here is the best part. This falafel flatbread is not only loaded with delicious Mediterranean flavors, but it's packed with tons of protein, fiber and nutrients (much more than your average gluten-free bread). I have a feeling you're really going to love this one.
Falafel flatbread recipe ingredients
This recipe uses almost the same ingredients as my falafel recipe, but with a few additions. For him initial mixture to be refrigerated, You will need to:
- Chickpeas (Chickpea Beans): Use only dried chickpeas. Canned chickpeas are too soft and moist, which means your flatbread will not have the right consistency.
- Onion: I'm using yellow onion for a stronger flavor, but white or red onions work fine.
- Parsley and Coriander: Add fresh flavors to this recipe and a vibrant green color to flatbread.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic cloves instead of garlic powder for the best flavor.
- green chile (Serrano pepper): A small pepper adds a touch of flavor and spice without overpowering the falafel. You can adjust this to plus or minus, but don't skip it without trying first, trust me.
- Cumin, Cardamom, Salt and Black Pepper: These aromatic spices are commonly used in Middle Eastern cuisine and have a delicious, earthy and spicy flavor.
- Sodium bicarbonate: Provides a lighter texture to flatbread.
After refrigerating, add ingredients below to create final mix before flattening.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Chickpea flour: This adds starch and helps bind the mixture so the bread does not crumble.
- Olive oil and water: It helps to unite the flour to the rest of the mixture.
How to make falafel flatbread
Making this flatbread can seem a little intimidating. But once you break down each step, it's really easy to do!
- Soak the chickpeas. The night before, soak the dried chickpeas in water. But make sure the water covers the chickpeas by 2-3 inches, as they will triple their size.
- Rinse the chickpeas. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add them to your food processor.
- Add herbs, spices, and baking soda. Add the onion, parsley, coriander, pepper, garlic, cumin, salt, cardamom, black pepper, and baking soda to the food processor and pulse several times until the texture becomes grainy. Then transfer the falafel mixture to a large bowl.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes to an hour. Then remove from the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the chickpea flour, water and olive oil. Mix everything together with your hands until well combined.
- Shape the flatbread. Flatten the falafel mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet. And press gently with your hands to flatten.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cut into individual pieces. Let the flatbread cool for about 10 minutes. Then cut it into rectangular pieces.
Ways to use your flatbread
My favorite part of this recipe is the versatility of flatbread. You can dip it in hummus, use it as sandwich bread, or stack tons of fresh toppings. Below are some of my favorite combinations to create a fresh meal or a tasty snack.
- The best green goddess sandwich with hummus, cucumber, avocado and sprouts
- Egg salad sandwich (or use avocado egg salad)
- Tuna salad sandwich
- Chicken salad sandwich
Healthy flatbread ideas
- Baba ganoush, topped with roasted pine nuts, chopped parsley, sprinkled with ras el hanut (Moroccan spices)
- Tzatziki, topped with tomato slices, microgreens, black sea salt, pepper
- Cucumber, tomato, red onion, feta cheese, chopped parsley (essentially my Greek salad)
- Guacamole (or avocado slices), topped with spinach, soft-boiled egg (I used an 8-minute egg)
- Yogurt (or labneh), topped with cucumber salad
How to store and freeze
If you want to store the leftovers, let them cool completely and then place them in an airtight container. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just be sure to use parchment paper to divide each flatbread if you're going to store it in the freezer.
Falafel Flatbread Recipe Video
If you have made my traditional falafel recipe, you will be a professional at this. But if you haven't, don't worry. I will guide you step by step through the process in the next video. Give him a watch!
Healthier Mediterranean recipes
If you love this flatbread, here are some delicious recipes that will round out your Mezze platter.
Falafel Flatbread – Amazing Vegan Flatbread Recipe
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Servings: 9 servings
Falafel flatbread It is a vegan and gluten-free bread made from a mixture of herbs, vegetables and chickpeas. It is a unique version of a traditional flatbread that is brimming with fresh and salty Mediterranean flavors. Just cut it to pieces and discover how versatile it is in the video above!
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (do not use canned chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup parsley, chopped (about a large bunch)
- 1 cup coriander, chopped (about a large bunch)
- 1 small green chile, serrano or jalapeño pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of chickpea flour
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
The night before, soak the dried chickpeas in water. Make sure the water covers the chickpeas by 2-3 inches as they will triple in size.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to your food processor.
Add the onion, parsley, coriander, pepper, garlic, cumin, salt, cardamom, black pepper, and baking soda to the food processor and pulse several times until the texture turns into a grain. fine. Then transfer the falafel mixture to a large bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
Take the mixture out of the fridge and add the chickpea flour, the water and the olive oil. Mix everything together with your hands until well combined.
Flatten the falafel mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gently press with your hands to flatten.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Let the flatbread cool for about 10 minutes. Then cut it into individual pieces.
- This recipe creates a 10.5 x 15 inch flatbread.
Calories: 130kcal, Carbs: 19g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 3g, Saturated fat: 1g, Sodium: 335mg, Potassium: 318mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 713IU, Vitamin C: 13mg, Calcium: 43mg Iron: 2mg