Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Dolly Parton Five-Layer Dinner
Homemade food made directly from the Queen of the Country.
Dolly Parton is best known for country music, but it turns out she should have some influence in the kitchen arena, too. Your five-layered dinner is the comfort food that gets better: simple flavors that combine in a bake that is easy to prepare and completely satisfying. With layers of ground beef and a few simple veggies, it's also inexpensive, making it the ideal type of family meal for the home you'd expect from the Queen of the Country.
This is an easy bake. If you can cut and layer, you can handle this. Start with a layer of sliced potatoes, followed by a layer of golden ground beef.
That is covered with a layer of sliced onions …
… and that's Topped with diced or freshly sliced tomatoes.
The final layer is chopped green peppers, but you could use a different color if it suits your taste.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
So yes, there are only five main ingredients here, but the secret is to season each layer as you go and then bake it slowly and slowly.
It's a two-hour cook time, but as you bake the juices from the veggies and the meat it releases and combines wonderfully.
That means that while you don't have to create any separate sauce for this dish, it still ends up baking where each bite is juicy and tasty. (And it only took five ingredients to get there.)
It is not sophisticated food, but it is the type of food that is delicious in its simplicity: simple flavors that are simply prepared and somehow become much closer together than the sum of its parts.
Dolly Parton 5-Layer Dinner
For 6; 15 minutes of preparation, 2 hours of cooking time
- 3 large russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 pound lean ground beef, browned and minced
- 2 large onions, sliced and separated rings
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced OR 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 chopped green bell peppers
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F and grease 9 × 13-inch baking pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- Place the potatoes in the bottom of the baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Top with the ground beef, followed by the onions, then the tomatoes and peppers, seasoning with salt and pepper between each layer.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 2 hours. Enjoy!