If you are looking for your next favorite cookie, these dark chocolate and cherry cookies are it.
My friend gave me this recipe and told me I made it. She said she had already done it three times.
I was skeptical.
I love cookies just as much as the next person, but I mean how special could these dark chocolate and cherry cookies be?
They are just dark chocolate and cherries.
I could buy cherries and dip them in dark chocolate.
I know I was stubborn.
I hate to bake, and I'm not in favor of whipping all those measuring cups, spoons, bowls and having to do everything that needs to be cleaned up.
But when she insisted that I should just try it once, I gave it a shot.
Ummm. Foot in mouth.
These dark chocolate and cherry cookies are FREAKING PHENOMENAL.
There is just something about dark chocolate and cherries.
The flavor combination is phenomenal.
I was really surprised to make these cookies, I thought they would just be like regular cookies, but omg, they're just really out of this world.
I love how soft and tender the center is and the edges are a little crispy.
The diced cherries remain soft throughout, and it is just as much flavor that offsets the bitterness of dark chocolate.
I don't love dark chocolate, can I use plain chocolate?
The dough is so thick.
Yes, the dough is very thick. It's almost fudge-like!
What if I don't have a stand mixer?
You can use a hand mixer, but I will warn you, the standard spatula and elbow grease are probably better since the hand mixer is so thick the hand mixer will not be powerful enough.
Learn from me. Stick to a stick mixer or elbow grease, but it's a workout and your arm will definitely be tired!
Can I use sweet cherries?
Of course. However, I love sour cherries because it gives it that little bite of cutting the sweet of the cookie.
Can I use fresh cherries?
No, I stick to dried pie cherries.
What other dried fruit can I use?
You can substitute whatever dried fruit, but I ask you to try dried cherries. They are just so good in this recipe!
How do you get chocolate puddles upstairs?
2 minutes before they were done baking, I pulled them out of the oven and pushed a chocolate bottle on top.
What is the texture of your dark chocolate and cherry cookie?
So incredibly soft and tender with one weak crispy at the edges.
As you can see in the pictures, the center is so fudgy and moist.
Should I sprinkle salt on top?
You don't have to, but goodness, the sour, sweet and salty combination is simply amazing.
Can I freeze dark chocolate and cherry cookies?
Yes, you can freeze the raw dough (shape them into cookie molds first) and place them in a plastic freezer bag.
More cookies with fruit combinations:
- Breakfast cookies
- Chewy honey oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Oatmeal cranberry cookies
- Cranberry white chocolate cookies
Dark chocolate and cherry cookies
These dark chocolate and cherry cookies are a decadent treat! They are soft, and the burst of diced cherries goes so well with the dark chocolate! Preparation time: 20 min. Boiling time: 15 min. Total time: 35 minutes Course: Dessert Cuisine: American Calories: 419kcal
- 2 1/4 cups flour for all purposes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky or kosher salt
- 1 cup room temp unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of grained sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried tart cherries, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Bittersweet chocolate wafer chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare cookie sheets with silicone baking sheet or parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl and whisk.
- Add butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar to a mixing bowl with stand mixer equipped with paddle attachment. Mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs – one at a time – mix until thoroughly combined (scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition). Then add the vanilla into the sugar mixture.
- Then slowly add dry mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add cherries and chocolate chips to the mixture and combine with spatula.
- Use a medium-sized iscoop to distribute the dough on cookie sheets.
- Depending on how your oven bakes: Bake for 13-15 minutes until the center of the cookie is just set. Transfer to rack for cooling. Enjoy!
** 2 minutes before they finished baking, I pulled them out of the oven and pushed a chocolate wafer chip on top. The raw dough is also extremely thick. Fudge-like! Nutrition facts Dark chocolate and cherry cookies Serving (1 cookie) calories 419 calories from fat 189 % Daily Value * Fat 21 g32% carbohydrates 56 g19% Fiber 4g16% Sugar 34g38% protein 5g10% * Percent daily values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. * Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Pretty sure you need these dark chocolate and cherry cookies in your life! I mean just look at the melted chocolate and fudgy center !!