Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Sharing is showing interest!
I love to cook with lobster. Since I don't live near Louisiana, frozen crabs are usually the only ones I have access to.
But last week, we got LOTS of fresh crabs. My husband hosts an annual crab boil for the Tulane Alumni in Charlotte, North Carolina, at a local park. The University arranges for live crabs to arrive from Louisiana (how's that for a cool Alma Mater?). Well, this year they sent too many. Too many. We got home with a whole 35 pound bag and he allowed me to try a bunch of new lobster recipes.
This for Cauliflower and lobster soup It is adapted from a recipe published in Louisiana Cookin ‘. BTW, if you like cooking magazines, this is a great magazine with lots of great recipes, lots of them seafood, as well as articles about Louisiana restaurants and festivals.
This soup is rich and creamy, with just the right amount of spice from a combination of red and white pepper. The recipe is intended to use the leftovers from a crayfish boil, but if you are not planning to boil the crayfish, you can still prepare the recipe using 1 pound of frozen crabmeat. I would add a good amount of Cajun seasoning to the crab when stir frying the butter, since the boiled crab tends to be quite spicy. Throw out some raw red potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces with the cauliflower so you have time to cook, and add the cut kernels of an ear of corn about 10 minutes later.
You'll want some nice fresh bread to dip in the soup. It is comforting Cajun-style food.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Crab and cauliflower soup
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 leek, white part only, cut in half lengthwise and cut
- 1 head of cauliflower, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced red bell pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 6 to 8 reserved red crayfish boil potatoes, diced
- grains extracted from 1 ear of corn reserved for boiling crabs
- 2 cups thick whipped cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 butter spoons
- 1 pound reserved crayfish meat from crayfish boil
- 2 green onions, sliced, green part only
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and leek and cook until smooth and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, until cauliflower softens a little, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 more minute.
- Add the chicken stock, bay leaves, red pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until cauliflower is very soft, about 15 minutes. About 2 minutes before the cauliflower is done, add the potatoes and corn.
- Turn off the heat and discard the bay leaf and thyme sprig stems.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or working in batches, puree in a blender.
- Turn on the heat to medium and add the cream, salt and pepper. Cook until fully heated.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add lobster tails and cook 2-3 minutes, until heated through.
- Serve the soup in bowls and top with lobster and green onion.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
More lobster recipes
Fried crab balls Etouffee
Crab, andouille and corn soup
Disclaimer: Spicy Southern Kitchen is an affiliate of amazon.com.
crab cauliflower soup