Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Classic southern cabbage salad recipe – Crispy, refreshing and creamy coleslaw made with just a handful of pantry ingredients. Enjoy it as a side dish for grilled meats and savory dishes, or top it off with hamburgers, hot dogs, and sandwiches.
WHAT IS COLESLAW?
Cabbage Salad or Cabbage Salad is a crispy salad made with grated cabbage and carrots in a creamy dressing made from sweet and spicy mayonnaise. Although there are many variations, check out my amazing recipe for Red cabbage and carrot salad – but if you are looking for a southern classic, this is IT!
The coleslaw is enjoyed as a side dish for hamburgers, hot dogs, fried chicken, and grilled meats. It's an American classic that always finds its way in shared meals or summer picnics.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
INGREDIENTS FOR CLASSIC COLESLAW
- 14-ounce bag of shredded cabbage salad mix. I like to use the store-bought mix because it saves time and is as good as freshly grated cabbage and carrots.
- White vinegar
- celery seed
- dill leaves
- salt and fresh ground pepper
Coleslaw is proof that the most basic ingredients are often the best recipes.
HOW TO MAKE COLESLAW
- First, make the dressing; Combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, celery seed, dill herb, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix until well combined.
- Then, add the grated cabbage salad mixture to a large salad bowl and add the prepared mayonnaise dressing. If you want to mash your own mix, you will need to thinly slice about 6 cups of green cabbage and 2 large carrots. I like to use a Mandolin because it cuts everything into equal parts.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. You can also serve it without refrigerating, but I think it tastes much better chilled and a little milder.
CAN I MAKE COLESLAW BEFORE TIME?
- Yes, you can make coleslaw the day before and keep it in the fridge until ready to use. I usually prepare the dressing 1 or 2 days in advance and then stir it an hour before I want to serve the coleslaw.
COLESLAW MIXING IDEAS
Our classic cabbage salad recipe is excellent AS IS, but if you want a variety, you can Add some additional flavors and textures by stirring sliced green onions, diced apples, dried cranberries, chopped almonds, and / or pumpkin seeds.
HOW TO STORE THE COLESLAW LEFT
- Store leftover cabbage in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH COLESLAW
- BBQ ribs
- Instant Pig Barbecue Pulled Pork
- Beer Battered Yogurt Fried Chicken
- Grilled chicken drumsticks
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Classic southern cabbage salad recipe
1 hour and 5 minutes
Crispy, refreshing and creamy coleslaw made with just a handful of pantry ingredients. Enjoy it as a side dish for grilled meats and savory dishes, or stack a few on burgers, hot dogs, and sandwiches.
Course: appetizer, salad, garnish
Cuisine: American / Southern
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 162 kcal
- 1 (14 oz) bag shredded cabbage salad mix
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- freshly ground pepper, for garnish (optional)
- Add the grated cabbage salad mixture to a large salad bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, celery seeds, dill, salt, and pepper; beat until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Taste for seasonings and flavors; adjust accordingly.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with parsley and freshly ground pepper.
- To serve.
FREESTYLE POINTS WW: 5
- REDUCE POINTS TO 2 by using low-fat mayonnaise.
- If you want to grate your own coleslaw mixture, you will need to thinly slice about 6 cups of green cabbage and 2 large carrots.
- Add additional flavors and texture by stirring sliced green onions, diced apples, dried cranberries, chopped almonds, and / or pumpkin seeds.
- Prepare the coleslaw the day before and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to use, OR prepare the dressing 1 or 2 days in advance and then stir it an hour before serving the coleslaw.
Keywords: cabbage recipe, cabbage salad recipe, festive garnish recipe, low carb recipe, potluck salad, grated cabbage, summer barbecue garnish, summer salad recipe
Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉 classiccol