Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Seven months ago, I was at a blogger event where my friend Laura brought the treat for the night, which ended up being dirty cocaine and a variety of cookies from the Smart Cookie Company in Midvale, Utah. You can take a look at the Instagram post about it here. It's actually kind of fun, because when I decided to do this, I hadn't tried looking for that image for reference. I knew I remembered loving that cookie and wanted to make it at home again.
I can't believe how close I got to looking real without even looking at that Instagram image until I started writing this post! These cinnamon roll sugar cookies are made from my favorite cut sugar cookie recipe with the addition of cinnamon and my favorite cream cheese frosting on top, again with a pinch of cinnamon. These are "cinnamon roll" sugar cookies after all! I mean, look at the swirl at the top!
I had a lot of fun shooting these cookies if you couldn't tell. 😉 It was REALLY difficult to narrow down the images I chose, but not only are these cookies cute to watch, they are delicious to eat! My friends devoured them very quickly, and my husband took what I had saved so that I and the children could work… He was angry, to say the least! Haha! Such a fun twist on the regular sugar cookie!
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Don't you just want to take a big bite out of that thick chewy cookie with a sip of milk to wash it off? By the way, it's a totally old jar of candy, but it's a big glass of milk, don't you think?
Well well! Enough jokes… here is the recipe!
Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies
* This recipe has been updated (4/12/14) to make these cookies even better! (Wetter and cinnamon; cookies may appear darker than shown here due to additional cinnamon.)
- 1 cup butter (without salt, at room temperature)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour (Scoop lightly into the cup and level with a knife when measuring. (If you are concerned about your hands being weighed with the flour, use only 2 3/4 cups))
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
- 1 recipe The BEST cream cheese frosting (link in instructions)
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with the sugar. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredient bowl and mix until incorporated.
Cover the dough and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch thick. Cut the circles out and place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Press the scraps together and continue cutting the cookies until all the dough is used; try not to overload the cookie dough.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 to 12 minutes depending on whether you want a soft cookie (8 to 9 minutes) or a crispy cookie (10 to 12 minutes). Let cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring the cookies with a spatula to a wire rack.
- While the cookies cool, make the BEST cream cheese frosting and place it in a pastry bag with a coupler and a large round tip. Put a thin layer of swirling frosting on each cookie starting from the outside and moving towards the center. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve. Store in an airtight container.
Altered previous recipe of Our best snacks
The original photos were made with this recipe for sour cream sugar cookies cut in half with the addition of 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Feel free to use your favorite sugar cookie recipe and add as much cinnamon as you like.
This is a photo of my second attempt to make these cookies better for everyone. You can see that they are darker than the originals because they have more cinnamon.
Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. Na CinnamonCookiesRollSugar