Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This salad is based on the homemade red wine vinaigrette to bring all the flavors together, but you can try it with the homemade French dressing or even the Asian salad dressing (which also works as a tasty marinade). Also check out other fantastic DIY salad dressings, all of which are much better than the bottle.
In fact, there's more than enough of the good things for everyone, and it's all mixed with a wonderful 5-ingredient homemade dressing that's completely easy to shake and have on hand when you feel the need for a giant, healthy salad. And you will
It's a perfect salad to take to the parties, but it's as good as a packed lunch when you're determined to eat healthy and stay away from that burrito place on the corner. The chopped Mediterranean salad, with all of its crisp, crisp crisp, will probably make you forget all about that burrito.
Chopped Mediterranean salad Ingredients:
- Lettuce. The crispier the better. Hearty lettuce like romaine lettuce would be perfect.
- Cucumber. Hot house varieties, like Persian or Japanese cucumbers, which have small seeds and a sweet taste, are ideal. But you can use any cucumber you want, but you may want to get the seeds out.
- Tomatoes. Bright red grape tomatoes are almost always in season and taste great.
- Chickpeas Canned chickpeas work perfectly.
- Kalamata olives. Cut them in half, to make sure everyone has something and that there are no graves lurking inside.
- Feta cheese. Any kind of salty hard or goat's milk cheese will do.
Other surprising but totally optional ingredients:
- Pepperoncini peppers. A little spice could be good.
- Roasted red peppers. Do you have one of those little jars in your pantry? Add a little!
- Sunflower seeds.
- Mint. Chopped fresh mint is glorious in this salad.
- Roasted zucchini slices.
- Boiled egg Go ahead, cut a couple of eggs.
- Israeli couscous. The precooked small pearl-shaped pasta adds a little extra substance to this salad. Pull a little!
How to make a red wine vinaigrette:
You can make a few batches of the vinaigrette to store in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Store it in the fridge for a week of delicious salads.
- First, find a large bowl containing the salad; you can make the dressing with it.
- Then mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper as you like.
- Then, just let everything settle and marinate as you prepare all the salad ingredients. A little time will make the flavors explode, especially if you're using dry ingredients.
How to make chopped Mediterranean salad:
Admittedly, the most time-consuming part of preparing this salad is preparing the ingredients, but after that it's easy to navigate. After all, it wouldn't be without something.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- To start, cut the lettuce as finely as you can, then cut the olives, cut the tomatoes, and chop the onion. Then cut the cucumbers in half and scoop the seeds out of them before cutting them. Unless you are using Persian type cucumbers, then all you have to do is cut them.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse well with cold water.
- Then simply mix the lettuce, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, and chickpeas along with the dressing. And sprinkle the olives and crumbled feta on top. Finally dig!
Serve the chopped Mediterranean salad on its own as a fabulous, light and healthy main dish. It certainly would be even better with grilled salmon, a can of good tuna, or anything fresh off the grill – chicken, steak, or pork chops.
Cuisine: Mediterranean Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Servings: 4 servings Calories: 454 kcal
For the red wine vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 1 greenhouse cucumber cut in half lengthwise and chopped (see notes)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- 2 cups grape tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpea, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- 4 ounces diced feta cheese
- In a large bowl, mix olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste (I like 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper). To dressing, red onion and cucumber and stir to combine. Let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Add lettuce, tomatoes, and chickpeas and stir to combine. Sprinkle with olives and feta cheese.
If using a regular cucumber, peel, cut in half lengthwise, and remove seeds before cutting. Inspired by (but no longer much like) Mediterranean minced salad in America's Test Kitchen healthy family cookbook.
Calories :: 454kcal
Mediterranean Salad Chopped Recipe