Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
You can never go wrong with muffins for a portable breakfast option, my family loves cranberry muffins, pumpkin muffins, and these fabulous chocolate muffins.
Muffins are always a great treat, but when you add chocolate chips to the mix, you really take things over the top! These chocolate chip muffins take just a few minutes to prepare and are rich in chocolate flavor to please both kids and adults.
How do you make chocolate chip muffins?
First prepare the muffin dough by mixing flour, sugar, yeast, chocolate chips and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, oil, butter, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
Pour the dough into a muffin tin and sprinkle a few chocolate chips and a little sugar on top of the muffins. Bake your cupcakes until golden brown, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for chocolate muffins
- Be careful not to bake the cupcakes too long. The muffins are baked when you insert a toothpick into a muffin and it comes out clean or with some damp crumbs.
- Stir the dough by gently folding it with a spoon or spatula. Do not use a whisk. Be careful not to over mix the dough, as this can produce hard buns.
- Place the muffin tins on a baking sheet when baking the dough in the oven. This will help prevent spills and prevent the muffin bottoms from drying out.
- These muffins remain fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, or in the refrigerator for 5 days. If you choose to refrigerate your cupcakes, I recommend microwaving them for about 15 seconds before serving.
Variations of chocolate chip muffins
Chocolate chip muffins are a classic breakfast dish. However, you can customize the cupcakes to your liking by adding other ingredients to the mix.
- Chocolate: You can use other types of chocolate chips like milk chocolate or white chocolate. It's also fun to add a handful of caramel chips or peanut butter.
- Fruit: Chocolate combines very well with many types of fruit. Add up to 1/2 cup of raspberries, chopped strawberries, or try dried fruits like dried cranberries.
- Mixes: I often add other ingredients like chopped walnuts, toasted coconut, orange zest, crystallized ginger, or almond extract.
- Dressing: You can make a streusel filling for your cupcakes by mixing 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle the streusel over the top of your muffins, then bake as directed.
Can you freeze muffins?
You can freeze the muffins to keep them fresh for three months. To freeze cupcakes, simply wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place them in a zip-lock bag. You can microwave frozen muffins on high for about 20 seconds per muffin. You can also let your frozen cupcakes thaw at room temperature.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
This recipe makes muffins that are moist, sweet, and satisfying. These chocolate chip muffins are so good that you'll want them not just for breakfast, but all day!
More recipes you will love
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Cherry muffins
- Pineapple and coconut muffins
- Breakfast casserole with bacon
- Dutch baby pancakes
Chocolate chip muffins
These chocolate chip muffins are light and tender muffins studded with lots of chocolate chips and then topped with a pinch of sugar. These muffins are great for breakfast or a quick snack, and kids love it!
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 18 minutes Total time: 28 minutes
Servings: 12 Calories: 2777kcal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups split-use chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons thick optional sugar
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, 1 cup of chocolate chips and salt in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a second bowl, mix together the milk, oil, butter egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Divide the dough evenly between the cups in the muffin tin. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips on top of the muffins.
- Sprinkle the coarse sugar over the muffins.
- Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes, then serve.
Calories :: 2777kcal | Carbohydrates: 43 g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 142mg | Potassium: 155mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 155 IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 1.4mg
chocolate chips with muffins