Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Little treats made with healthy ingredients, these date energy bites are easy to make with just seven ingredients. Make them naughty, with a hint of bourbon, or enjoyable without them! This Pecan Pie Bliss Ball recipe is vegan, vegetarian, and easily gluten-free.
Easy to make bites of happiness
Easy to prepare and highly rewarding, these date energy bites are a delicious way to enjoy an alternative when the sweet tooth calls it. What I love about these Bliss Pecan Balls is that they are full of clean ingredients. Well, unless you add a glug of bourbon!
Inspired by my Bourbon and vegan walnut patties, I whip these little bites of happiness to extend the holiday season when I want more pecan pie, but my hips say no! I also invent them for the loves of my life who appreciate a naturally sweetened treat (and a little bourbon). Also, they make terrific treats anytime when the s ‘
Ingredients for energy bites with dates
Easy to cook and so delicious, these bites of happiness depend on the dates for a naturally sweetened sweet. This is what you will need to make them:
- Whole rolled oats – not fast
- pecan nuts
- Medjool dates
- Vanilla extract
- Sea salt
- Mini Chocolate Chips: I like Enjoy Life Foods.
- Bourbon – optional
- Raw cocoa for rolling – optional
How to make walnut pie date bites
After toasting the oatmeal and walnuts, the food processor makes the entire mixture. Here's how to put these energy bites together with dates:
- First, toast the oats and walnuts. Take out a portion of walnuts and set aside. Then process the remaining pecans and oats in a food processor until they are ground. Remove from working bowl and set aside in a small bowl. Grind the remaining nuts well, then transfer them to a separate small bowl. This portion will be used to roll the happiness balls later!
- SecondMeanwhile, if your dates are dry and hard, soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes to soften them. Forge dates. Then squeeze out excess water as much as possible. In the food processor work bowl, add dates, salt, molasses, vanilla, and bourbon if used. Process the date mixture until a paste forms.
- Third, transfer the oatmeal and processed nuts over the date paste and add the chocolate chips. Process until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- nextCut the dough into small pieces and roll into balls.
- Latest, roll the balls of happiness in pieces of walnut that were reserved before and / or in raw cocoa powder.
These dated chocolate balls last for several weeks in the fridge, so they're easy to make!
Some recipe notes
- To hand out these little dated chocolate balls, I like to use a # 50 scoop of ice cream. Serving up is so easy! It is also perfect for small cookies.
- Without gluten? Yes please! Just use gluten-free oatmeal and skip the bourbon (if in doubt, don't do it!). There is still conflicting information on the consumption of distilled spirits for some people without gluten, but it may not be right for everyone.
- Sugarfree? Yes please! Instead of using mini chocolate chips sweetened with cane sugar, leave them out and add in a few tablespoons of raw cocoa powder.
RELATED: A fan of dating balls? My Bourbon Date Nut truffles are delightful!
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Chocolate balls and pecan pie
Little treats made with healthy ingredients, these happiness balls are easy to make with just seven ingredients. Make them naughty, with a touch of bourbon (see notes), or without them! These Bliss Pecan Balls are vegan, vegetarian, and easily gluten-free. NOTE: The preparation time below is an estimate based on my experience making these bites of happiness. This time may vary depending on the -'s experience. Preparation time 25 minutes Cook time 20 minutes Total time 50 minutes Course: Dessert, Sandwich Kitchen: American, Vegetarian Servings: 28 Balls Calories: 159 kcal
- 1 1/4 C (120 g) non-fast rolled oats, gluten-free if necessary
- 1 1/2 C (150 g) Split pecans, halves, or pieces
- 20 (335g) Medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons of molasses
- 3 teaspoons of optional Bourbon
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 C (95 g) Mini Chocolate Chips See note for a sugar-free chocolate option!
- Raw cocoa powder or unsweetened cocoa powder, optional, to roll the bites into
Prepare the oats and walnuts:
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C). Line a tray with parchment paper. Toast the oats and walnuts for about 15-20 minutes. OR even golden and fragrant toast. Scoop out 1/2 C (50 g) of pecans and set aside (this will be processed separately and will later be used as a coating to roll up the balls). Add the roasted oatmeal and remaining nuts to a working bowl of a food processor equipped with the S-blade. Pulse the oatmeal and pecans until a fine meal forms, approximately 11-15 times. The pieces are fine. Transfer to a small bowl. Set aside. Press remaining 1/2 C (50 g) of reserved pecans before until just fine. Transfer to a separate small bowl. Set aside. (These nuts will later be used as a coating to roll the balls.) You will use the working bowl again. There is no need to clean it.
Prepare the dates:
- Meanwhile, while the oven is heating up and the oatmeal / nuts are roasting, prepare the dates. If your dates are dry and hard, soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes to soften them. Drain, then remove the holes. Squeeze out excess water as much as possible and pat dry with a tea towel. Transfer the dates to the working container of a food processor, add salt, molasses, vanilla, and bourbon if using. Process the date mixture until a paste forms, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
Add the oats and walnuts:
- Pour the oatmeal and processed walnuts over the date paste and add the chocolate chips. Process about 15 seconds until ingredients are evenly distributed, stopping to scrape bowl if necessary.
Scoop and Roll:
- Using a # 50 scoop, a small scoop of ice cream, or about 1 1/2 tablespoons each, separate the dough and place it in a parchment lined skillet. Once all the balls are collected, roll them into balls. Then roll the balls into the pieces of pecan that were reserved earlier. If you use it, you can roll the balls into unsweetened cocoa powder instead of nuts or some of each if you like.
- Store the balls in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. They share best at room temperature, so if you have time, take them out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before sharing.
A choice of sugar-free chocolate: try substituting 3 tablespoons of raw cocoa powder for the chocolate chips. Add a little water if necessary to add a little more moisture to your dates. The mixture should be held together after clenching your fist.
Nutrition is provided as an estimate (per serving) and courtesy. If this information is important to you, please verify it independently.
Calories: 159kcal | Carbohydrates: 14 g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 127mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 17 IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1 mg