Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
When it's cold outside, I find myself making soup every week. Some of our favorites include taco soup, beef soup, and this hearty version of chicken tortellini.
For me, chicken noodle soup is a classic recipe that never goes out of style. This chicken tortellini soup is a version of the old favorite with plenty of chicken and vegetables, but it also contains cheese tortellini instead of the more traditional egg noodles. My whole family loves this soup, and I love that it is so easy to make in my slow cooker. This tortellini soup will definitely be on our regular rotation in the cold weather months.
How is chicken tortellini soup made?
This soup starts with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, carrots, celery, and onion. Chicken and vegetables enter the pot with herbs, spices, and chicken broth. Then you simply need to set up the slow cooker and get on with your day. At the end of the day, when ready to eat, shred the chicken breasts and return them to the soup. The last step is to add fresh cheese tortellini to the pot and cook the pasta until ready. Grab a ladle and dinner is served!
Tips for chicken tortellini soup
- I always use fresh cheese tortellini for this recipe because they cook much faster than frozen ones. If you only have frozen by hand, it will still work, you will only have to add an additional 10 minutes to the cooking time.
- Cut vegetables into larger pieces so they don't soften too much during the long cooking time.
- This soup can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Note that the pasta will continue to absorb the broth as it settles, so you may need to add more broth when reheating.
- You can cut your vegetables the night before to save prep time in the morning.
- This soup can also be made on the stove. Simply sauté the vegetables in a tablespoon of butter, then add the diced raw chicken to the pot. Add stock and seasonings, then cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through. Add tortellini, simmer for a few minutes until just tender, then serve.
Tortellini soup variations
I love this recipe as-is, but there are many different ways to customize it to your liking.
- Protein: Try chicken thighs or chicken sausages instead of chicken breasts.
- Vegetables: You can add all the different vegetables to the mix, like spinach, zucchini, green beans, peas, or corn.
- Pasta: Other tortellini flavors can be used in place of the cheese variety, or try mini ravioli for a fun touch!
Once you taste this soup, you will find yourself preparing it all winter. It is the perfect combination of flavors, all conveniently located in a pot.
More soup recipes you'll love
- spicy soup
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Hamburger soup
- Chicken and omelette soup
- Tortellini soup with chorizo
Chicken and tortellini soup video
Chicken tortellini soup (slow cooker)
This slow cooker chicken tortellini soup is filled with chicken tortellini, vegetables, and cheese, all simmering in the crock pot. A family dinner option that takes just a few minutes to put together.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 4 hours Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
Servings: 4 Calories: 380kcal
- 1 diced onion
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, halved and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 9-ounce package cheese tortellini
- optional: chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Place the onion, carrots, celery, chicken breasts, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, and chicken stock in a slow cooker.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW. Remove the chicken breasts and shred them with two forks, then return to the soup.
- Add tortellini to slow cooker and cook 10-15 more minutes or until puffed and hot.
- Serve, garnished with parsley if desired.
Calories :: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 36 g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 628 mg | Potassium: 966 mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 7810IU | Vitamin C: 31.7mg | Calcium: 151mg | Iron: 3.2mg
This post was originally published on October 11, 2017 and was updated on November 13, 2019 with new content.
Slow Cooker Pot Chicken Soup Tortellini